What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete photos?

OP
G

GeorgieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I wasn't explicit enough.

The photos exist in the main " Photos" ( bottom, to the right of Safari). When I open that, there is a folder called "camera roll". When I open one of the photos ther is no trash can displayed.

If I tap "edit" a box comes up to allow me to delete selected photos, but when I select a photo the "delete" box grays out and the selected photo does not delete.

Do I have to use iTunes?

Thks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those instructions were good for IOS 4.x. I'm guessing since you have an edit button, you are on IOS5?

I don't have that on my iPad2 yet. But on my iPhone4S, the trashcan icon is still there. Hopefully an IOS5 iPad2 user can confirm where it is...

OP
G

GeorgieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, ios5, just upgraded.

Thks for trying...maybe someone out there knows.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, ios5, just upgraded.

Thks for trying...maybe someone out there knows.

It sounds to me you're looking at the thumbnails of the photos and have not actually clicked on the photo to open it. You have to open each individual photo one-by-one before the trash can appears.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on iOS 5 on two iPads and there's no longer a Camera Roll. I have Saved Photos, which looks like same thing. It lets me click on a photo and the trash can icon comes up for deleting, as before.

OP
G

GeorgieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, one more time.

I open Photos from the main screen.

The photos (all 351of them) display as thumbnails. On that screen, across the top, is the following:
Photos Places Slideshow and the box with the arrow.

If I tap the arrow box, across the top of the same thumbs is:

Share Copy Delete. Select Photos

When i tap a photo, a checkmark appears on the thumbnail. When i then tap Delete, nothing happens.

On none of the screens is there a trashcan symbol.

Could it be that the upgrade failed?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, one more time.

I open Photos from the main screen.

The photos (all 351of them) display as thumbnails. On that screen, across the top, is the following:
Photos Places Slideshow and the box with the arrow.

If I tap the arrow box, across the top of the same thumbs is:

Share Copy Delete. Select Photos

When i tap a photo, a checkmark appears on the thumbnail. When i then tap Delete, nothing happens.

On none of the screens is there a trashcan symbol.

Could it be that the upgrade failed?

I just tried deleting from thumbnails and it works. (Curly arrow, check photos to be deleted, Delete, then they disappear.)

Maybe you should close your photo app and reset your iPad in case your app is hung up.

OP
G

GeorgieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried a complete reset...no go.

Next will be a trip to the local Apple store.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont know if this will help as i have not tried deleting in photos in my iOS5 yet but found a similar issue when I used the last OS in that it depended on how I saved pics to my camera roll. I think my issue was when a pic I saved was part of an album there was no longer a trash can. So I had to go back into itunes and delete that type of saved pic "first" from the album. Pics saved from albums I found sometimes hung up slide show too by staying on the same pic until I went back into itunes and deleted it.

Just my findings when I did not have "trash can" showing on certain pics.

OP
G

GeorgieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the techs at the Apple store cant help, I'll connect to my computer and try to delete thru iTunes. Maybe that's the answer.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried a complete reset...no go.

Next will be a trip to the local Apple store.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Before you make the trip, try again. I had exactly the same problem. Even mentioned in a post that I couldn't delete an empty album I'd created for test purposes in iOS 5. A helpful poster told me to do what everyone has been telling you to do. Before responding that no one seemed to understand the problem I was having I gave it one more try; it suddenly began to work exactly as I would have expected. Until I saw this thread I assumed it was user error on my part.

I suspect there is a bug somewhere in the new code that enables new albums to be created in the iPad (without creating them on your PC) but I don't have a clue what sequence of actions produces the problems you are (and I was) having. It may have something to do with having a photo tagged in another album (in addition to the Camera Roll.) Since you've already tried a complete reset (simultaneous pressing home and power buttons until the iPad reboots), I won't suggest you try doing it again. But if you have photos in the Camera Roll that are not shared with any other album you might try the delete on one of those. Or perhaps try tagging a photo you want to delete to be placed in another album, remove it from there and then try to remove it from the Camera Roll if the iPad doesn't give you that option.

In any event, be prepared to look foolish when you go to the Apple Store and suddenly find that everything works perfectly. I know I felt like an idiot . :) But at least you and I will know you aren't.

OP
G

GeorgieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, kinda looked like a noob fer sure.

The answer is that I must connect to iTunes on my pc and do the deletes there. The photos on the iPad are sync'd with iTunes and cannot be deleted...easily.

Thanks to all those that helped.

Forgetful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has something changed about deleting photos with iOS 5?

As far as I know, it's always been that you could delete photos from iPad if they weren't synched from iTunes (like screen captures and photos loaded through the camera kit). The ones synched on iTunes you always had to delete from iTunes, and only through iTunes.

What's new that we need to know?

Most reactions

Latest posts