What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete email on iPad and computer at same time?

sherry7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched the web for an answer, but I can't find an answer.

I just got my iPad yesterday. :D I set up both my Gmail account, as well as my Verizon Yahoo email account. Here's the problem: When I delete an email on the iPad, it isn't showing as deleted when I open up my email on my computer. So, I have to go through and delete everything again.

Can anyone please describe how to fix this please? :)

DaWeav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For Gmail, I use the Microsoft Exchange connector on the iPad, my Android mobile phone (since I don't like the native Gmail message threading in Android), and in Outlook so that Gmail can sync email all the way around. Plus, using the Microsoft Exchange connector on the iPad allows syncing the Gmail contacts and calendars with the iPad. It's really nice to change a contact or calendar event on either the iPad, my Android phone, or the web and they all stay in sync with each other.

As for my Yahoo accounts, it seems the iPad does some kind of IMAP and CalDAV when I selected Yahoo when adding the Yahoo account, but I have not found a way to setup IMAP or the Exchange connector in Outlook on my computer to access Yahoo mail. It seems Yahoo only allows mobile devices access to IMAP somehow since I've tried these Yahoo settings on Outlook without sucess.

So, if you use POP, it won't sync back to the hosting email server. Use IMAP or Exchange connectors instead of POP on all email client applications since it will provide email sync.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this go to settings and then email, click on your account then scroll to the advanced tab there is an option for when to delete from server, default is never

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Setting up Gmail as an Exchange server as others have suggested is the way to go. However, the iPad only allows one account set up this way. I believe that means your other account (Yahoo) will be setup as POP3 which does not do quite the same thing. I don't know if Mail on the iPad handles "Delete from server when I delete" option as most Computer clients do.

I don't much care for the Mail app on the iPad, it is very limited in its usefulness. Most of the time I use my Browser (Atomic is my choice) to read and respond to email on my iPad.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
POP3 does not allow for the syncing of email. You will need to use either Exchange or IMAP to sync email. Note, you can only set up one Exchange account.

Personally, I have forwarding turned on for my extra email accounts into my Exchange account I have been using for the last 5 years. This includes my gmail accounts. That way, I have only one account to worry about.

OP
S

sherry7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this go to settings and then email, click on your account then scroll to the advanced tab there is an option for when to delete from server, default is never

Thanks, that seems to have worked for my Verizon email account. :) I haven't tried doing anything with the Gmail account yet, but since I get very few emails with that one, I'm not so concerned about it.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't remember having to set up anything special for my gmail. I receive it through the regular email client and it takes it off the server. Not only that it shows all the gmail folders, like it was made for gmail.

This isn't the same thing as the Google app which will also work.

MICHAELA123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you ever find out how to do this?

i've searched the web for an answer, but i can't find an answer.

I just got my ipad yesterday. :d i set up both my gmail account, as well as my verizon yahoo email account. Here's the problem: When i delete an email on the ipad, it isn't showing as deleted when i open up my email on my computer. So, i have to go through and delete everything again.

Can anyone please describe how to fix this please? :)

did you find out how to do this?

speE67ight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exchange connectors instead of POP on all email client applications since it will provide email sync.
huang1.jpg

huang2.jpg

huang3.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts