What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete email in 4.2

IBBugsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find the trash icon in email? There's the new archive icon where it used to be in 3.2. The Help document doesn't help since it says to use the trash icon.

Thanks!

OP
I

IBBugsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured it out. I use gmail and the iPad considers their "delete" as an archive. In my other email accounts, the archive icon is replaced by the trash icon.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There seems to be a difference. On my exchange account, I have the usual trash icon, but on my Gmail, I also have the funny box.

iPaduaJoel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Move to Trash

What I do is "MOVE" what I want to delete.

Only way IMO since sliding puts them in the archive...

Click EDIT, mark the ones for transfer, click MOVE, then TRASH...

Unified inbox is cool(the same as my iPod)

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find the trash icon in email? There's the new archive icon where it used to be in 3.2. The Help document doesn't help since it says to use the trash icon.

Thanks!

I have updated my iPad and my wife's iPad to 4.2 but my icon is still a trashcan in the INBOX or any folder for that matter. I am using GMail Exchange Server and so is my wife, but she has the ARCHIVE button. Why????

Todd

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you view your inbox by looking at the account first then you have the trash.. If you do the quick link straight to the inbox you get the archive....you can retrieve the archive by going to the account view and clicking on all mail then actually delete what you thought you deleted by clicking archive

Strangely, once I did this I seem to have a trash option, hmmmm

Last edited:

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you view your inbox by looking at the account first then you have the trash.. If you do the quick link straight to the inbox you get the archive....you can retrieve the archive by going to the account view and clicking on all mail then actually delete what you thought you deleted by clicking archive

Strangely, once I did this I seem to have a trash option, hmmmm

Not sure what you mean by QUICK LINK. I only have GMail configured in my e-mail. No other account. I have the standard GMail folders and personal folders. If I go into the INBOX, I have a trashcan.

Todd

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't have it but it's there now that I manually accessed my trash can as I wrote before... Once I unarchived and deleted the mail I got trash can back and option in settings..can't explain, just reporting my circumstance

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I followed the examples and links to do this, and I indeed have archiving switched off as well as a dustbin on my app bar. However, even when click the delete button, I find my email still only vanishes from my inbox, only to appear in my all items folder, NOT in my trash folder....

Very annoying as I have to do my mail management through the web client rather than native....

Nick

Sent from my iPad using iPF

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting additional note - if I delete from the inbox, the email simply goes to the all mail view, if I press the delete button in the all mail view, it goes to trash....

Nick

Sent from my iPad using iPF

stmplusone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem, but found this fix on the apple help site which worked for me.
The forum won't let me post a link but if you search for understanding gmail archive on the apple support site you should find it.

JMul51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem, but found this fix on the apple help site which worked for me.
The forum won't let me post a link but if you search for understanding gmail archive on the apple support site you should find it.

Here is the link... support.apple.com/kb/HT4207

Most reactions

Latest posts