What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to conserve 4G data usage

gsuemnic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m getting ready for my first road trip with my new iPad mini.
My question is about how to conserve 4G data usage.
I will be signing up for a Verizon 1 gig data plan for a month, & only enable it when I’m not near a Wi-Fi hot spot.
I want to be sure when I’m using the 4G connection I don’t have apps behaving badly & using up my data allotment.
I’ve read about the standard things saving like don’t use iTunes or stream movies, etc. My email accounts are set to only poll when I ask for it.
I guess I’m looking for the less than obvious things to conserve 4G, like is less data used checking Gmail accounts via the web site or using the email app ?
Other questions:
Is there a way to stop informational apps like the weather channel from polling for data while on 4G?
How much data does a “free†ad sponsored app use. I realize I cannot use the app while on 4G, but am curious.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most of the things you seem to worry about use minimal data. Not sure I would worry about them too much. Streaming video is the real data eater.

The the app known as data usage to monitor your use of cellular.

The best way to control it is to turn it off when you don't want it to be used and then turn it on when you want to use it. All the other tiny bits don't need to be managed and your time will be better used.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As AQ_OC says, you're unlikely to go over your 1GB data plan if you stick to email, web browsing, and other non-streaming activities. I have a 4 GB plan and have rarely gone over 1 GB. The exception was when my home ISP went down and I streamed several Hulu.com shows. Even then I never broke 2 GB. I should probably lower my limit, but I'm paranoid and want the extra in case my ISP goes down for an extended period. Tethering is a great backup connection.

Verizon also offers you the safety net of data usage alerts. If you set them up you will receive several alerts starting at 50% all the way up to 100%. They can be email, SMS, or both. You set them up in your Verizon account online.

There's a MyVerizon app as well. It's not a great app, but it does allow you to check your current usage from the iPad or iPhone.

VerizonDataAlerts.jpeg

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got a 1 Gig plan. I do use WiFi whenever possible... I listen to a bit of streaming audio when I'm in the car, but I never stream video on 4G. I read e-mail and use my GPS app which downloads maps real time from the net... .. I've never hit the 1Gig limit and rarely get over 700 Megabytes.. Even if I do go over one day, my provider only charges 20 bucks for another gig, so if I should need 2 Gig in one month, I won't go broke :)

Most reactions

Latest posts