What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to connect FTP with iPad?

janvdw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear fellow iPad (2) users,

I installed the App 'SpeedReader'.

To use your own files on this App, you have to connect your pc (laptop) with the iPad 2, using a FTP server.
I tried several things but unfortunately I'm a FTP noob so could not get connected to my iPad.

I'll post here the instructions of the App and hope you could explain to me, what I should do:

========================================================
How do I send Books to SpeedReader?

SpeedReader uses the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to communicate with a computer to receive books over the iPhone or iPod Touch’s WiFi connection. First connect your device to the same WiFi network your computer is on. If you do not have a WiFi network, please see MobileStudio’s AdHoc WiFi help page on how to create one for free.

After connecting to a WiFi network, use any FTP client to connect. Tap the WiFi icon at the top of SpeedReader to find out what address to use to connect.
========================================================

For this case I installed FileZilla on my laptop. When I start the program it asks for a:

Server Address:
And
Port:

What should I fill in here, when my iPad wifi connections has the following details:

IP address: 172.29.146.218
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.252
Router: 179.29.146.217
DNS: 172.29.144.1

I tried several thinks but the program keeps saying: "Error: Connection to server lost"

Is there maybe a better alternative? Via Goodreader?? (I have the latest version of it!).

Hope to hear from you fellow users! Really looking forward to your reply. Thanks very much in advance!

Best regards,

Last edited:

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at the ip addresses, it looks like you are telling it to connect via the internet, that or a company network?

Normally, local ip addresses start 192.168.x.x

Last edited:
OP
J

janvdw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I was in a hotel using the local Wifi.
Now I'm back home, with a normal IP like: 192.168.... but still can't get to make this thing work.
Does anyone know a simple solution for this problem? Just a simple FTP connection with my iPad, to be able to send over some .txt files to this App.

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Most reactions

Latest posts