What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to command find on the ipad2

stevesaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can do a find in a web app or any document?

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do you mean like a quick search to locate things such as documents or apps or music or videos on your pad?

OP
S

stevesaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. No more like a search for a word or phrase similar to the command F function on a Mac or control F on a PC

IvanLasston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In safari - if you go to the search text box - you can type in a phrase/word - at the bottom it will say search this page and show you any matches on the page.

What document program are you using? Goodreader has a search function for PDF. Pages has a find function. Notify - a note taking app I use has a search function as well.

OP
S

stevesaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks wolf but looking for something different. An example is I want to find the word "dog" in a document then click "next" to see other times this word is contained in the document. Through a Mac I can do this by holding the command key (or apple key) plus the "F" key

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From home screen, swipe from left to right, the search page appears. When you type a word or phrase it shows every location of it on your I pad. This might be a start, I haven't played with it enough to know if it'll do a whole document.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks wolf but looking for something different. An example is I want to find the word "dog" in a document then click "next" to see other times this word is contained in the document. Through a Mac I can do this by holding the command key (or apple key) plus the "F" key

IvanLasston described how to do this on a web page.

In Safari, type your search term in the Google search bar. When the menu appears under it, scroll to the bottom where you will find one or more terms under 'On This Page'. Tap on your term there to start searaching on the current web page.

Other documents may be searched depending on the app that you open them in. Pages has a Find option under the wrench menu.

In GoodReader, with a document open, you will see a magnifying glass icon that will do what you want, though it may take a second or two to figure out how it works.

I don't have a list of apps that can do in-document finds, but I'm sure there are several others.

alisaunt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I type a word in Spotlight (= the search page, having swiped left-to-right), even a word I know is on the iPad 2 -- like an App -- all it offers is Wiki or Google. As if I'm searching for a definition! This is vexing. I've read in the iPad Manual (easy to search if opened in iBooks) how to do it, and followed the directions to a "T." Have also shut down, waited a few minutes, restarted. Same problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
alisaunt said:
When I type a word in Spotlight (= the search page, having swiped left-to-right), even a word I know is on the iPad 2 -- like an App -- all it offers is Wiki or Google. As if I'm searching for a definition! This is vexing. I've read in the iPad Manual (easy to search if opened in iBooks) how to do it, and followed the directions to a "T." Have also shut down, waited a few minutes, restarted. Same problem.

In Settings > General > Spotlight Search you can turn on and off the different types of things Spotlight will search for. Check ther to make sure you have apps turned on. Even then not everything is searchable inside all the listed apps.. The Contacts data base is pretty much limited to names.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts