What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to clear the Diagnostics & Usage Data

iSmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somebody please advise me how to clear the Diagnostics & Usage Data for ipad2 in General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostics & Usage Data.

Thanks in advance

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Help section, where I think it might receive better attention.

Tim

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This looks like it may be an iOS5 function. I don't have it on my non-updated iPad2, but it's on my iPhone 4s. From what I've read you can't delete the entries directly but some claim they're deleted when you sync to iTunes. Others say they don't. On my phone at least you can opt to not send the diagnostic data to Apple. Some claim doing this improves battery life. I'm going to try turning it off and see if it helps on battery drain or if they flush out on their own or the next time I sync. Not sure this helps you but I'm glad you asked if it ends up helping with battery life on my phone. :)

jjon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have over 200 diagnostics built up, mostly low memory warnings, and I'd like to be rid of them. Some of the reports in themselves run to several pages of data, and I can't afford to have these diagnostics hanging around, consuming my "hard disk". ( I do love Aweditorium, but it's a real disk chewer.)

I asked at my local "Genius" Bar, and was told there is no way to delete these diagnostics, other than a full factory reset, and I'm not brave enough to try that. Seems a very drastic action to have to take to remove these reports. I have the Don't Send option ticked, by the way.

If I've understood the chronology correctly, Diagnostics and Usage was an "improvement" introduced in 5.0. Hopefully a future upgrade will introduce a further improvement to delete or disable diagnostics.

The low memory problem seems to be primarily due to Safari, again something introduced by iOS 5? The cure for low memory, I was told at the Bar, is to jiggle-close Apps frequently, but I've had the problem with just three Apps open, one of them being Safari. So not poor user maintenance I think (besides, I thought there was no need for user maintenance on Apple devices) but a problem with 5.0 - either iOS should sort out low memory itself without a diagnostic report, or Safari should not be gobbling up so much RAM.

How do we get Apple to address issues like this in future versions?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jjon99 said:
I have over 200 diagnostics built up, mostly low memory warnings, and I'd like to be rid of them. Some of the reports in themselves run to several pages of data, and I can't afford to have these diagnostics hanging around, consuming my "hard disk". ( I do love Aweditorium, but it's a real disk chewer.)

I asked at my local "Genius" Bar, and was told there is no way to delete these diagnostics, other than a full factory reset, and I'm not brave enough to try that. Seems a very drastic action to have to take to remove these reports. I have the Don't Send option ticked, by the way.

If I've understood the chronology correctly, Diagnostics and Usage was an "improvement" introduced in 5.0. Hopefully a future upgrade will introduce a further improvement to delete or disable diagnostics.

The low memory problem seems to be primarily due to Safari, again something introduced by iOS 5? The cure for low memory, I was told at the Bar, is to jiggle-close Apps frequently, but I've had the problem with just three Apps open, one of them being Safari. So not poor user maintenance I think (besides, I thought there was no need for user maintenance on Apple devices) but a problem with 5.0 - either iOS should sort out low memory itself without a diagnostic report, or Safari should not be gobbling up so much RAM.

How do we get Apple to address issues like this in future versions?

You can leave feedback here http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

BTW, I'm not sure where you heard that Apple devices don't require user maintenance, all computers of all makes benefit from a bit of spring cleaning.

The Archangel

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't paid much attention to this, but it seems that with "don't send" ticked, the logs accumulate for ever. With "automatically send" selected, the logs appear to clean out as they are "collected".

"that's how they get ya!" :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't send, it collects for about a month, from my experience. It auto-deletes older ones.

jjon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try allowing the data to be sent to see if that clears them. With location services turned off, so they don't get everything.

I notice under "About Diagnostics and Privacy" they say:
"You may also choose to turn off Diagnostics altogether. To do so, open Settings, tap General, tap About and choose Don’t Send under Diagnostics & Usage. "
This seems not to turn off Diagnostics altogether, but rather just to turn off the sending of Diagnostics, as I've been running without sending and can vouch for the fact that Diagnostics still accumulate.

I assume the sending happens sometime overnight. Was the option not to send the battery improvement feature introduced in 5.1?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible, I haven't had any real battery issues, but there's no doubt that "not sending stuff" will save some battery. How much, is any ones guess.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt it's a battery feature. I think it's a privacy issue.

Fizzygillespie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak your iPad, you can buy iFile and go through all of your old files. Whenever you delete an app, it doesn't actually delete the files. Diagnostic and Usage files aren't as large as you think they are, it is the older files from apps and music you've deleted. Hoppe this helped. :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you jailbreak your iPad, you can buy iFile and go through all of your old files. Whenever you delete an app, it doesn't actually delete the files. Diagnostic and Usage files aren't as large as you think they are, it is the older files from apps and music you've deleted. Hoppe this helped. :)

We welcome your input Fizzy, but you may like to look at the dates related to a thread before responding to it. This one was last used back on the 1st January. The problem is likely done with now. Don't want you wasting your time and dragging up old threads for no reason... ;)

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iSmart said:
Somebody please advise me how to clear the Diagnostics & Usage Data for ipad2 in General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostics & Usage Data.

Thanks in advance

Perform a reset. "Reset iPad: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears".
I just reset both my iPhone and iPad and the diagnostics entries went down from more than a hundred on each to just a couple of current entries. I also have "Don't Send" checked. I don't promise that this will work for anyone. I read that performing a device reset clears its cache and a light bulb turned on in my head. I wanted to see if a reset would clear the diagnostic crap off my devices and it appears to have worked.

@ f4780y - The issue is still with us on iOS 5.1.1

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Last edited:

Lisha7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My I pad 2 diagnostics and usage data built up was approximately 300 and were not automatically deleting , so I decided to choose the don't send option that was 2 days ago , when I checked the data today there were only about 38 with no knew ones added on . So basically they automatically delete on there own when you choose the don't send option.

Most reactions

Latest posts