How to clear or reset Ipad when it won't recognize original password?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by scleverley, Feb 8, 2014.

1. scleverley

scleverley
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    How to clear or reset Ipad when it won't recognize original password?
    I originally set up my ipad with a hotmail account. That account ended up being hacked and shut down. My ipad wil not recognize the password. I want to give the ipad to one of my children but I can't clear or reset it because it won't accept the password. What options do I have?

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you say "original password" - do you mean your AppleID (which is tied in to that Hotmail account) or the passcode you enter when you awake the iPad from sleep?

If you mean the latter, you can connect it to iTunes and restore a fresh version of iOS 7 onto it. If you don't put an old backup on it, the passcode will not get reactivated and you will have an iPad that is as new as if it came out of the box. Hopefully, that'll work as that's what you want to do to pass it on...

Marilyn

3. scleverley

scleverley
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The original Apple ID. It was set up with a hotmail account that was shut down. The password is no longer recognized and I have no access to that email.

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The password to your hotmail account has nothing to do with the Apple ID password. In other words, your Apple ID might be JoeBlow@hotmail.com and you can login to that (or can't in your case) at outlook.com but that same email address is your Apple ID and that account has its own password and does not need your hotmail account password. It needs your Apple ID account password. And if it ever worked, it should still work because it never needs to do anything at your hotmail account.