What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to clean up folders under DCIM folder?

Gozoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty much any app on the computer that can recognize and import images from a camera or camera SD card should work. I don't remember what it is called, but there is at least one native Windows app that should work.

The app PhotoSync by touchbyte GmbH should work as well. It needs both the computer and the iOS device to be on the same network. It will work with only the iOS version installed (through a web browse on the computer) but there is a companion app for the computer that makes it easier. It's a little slower than using a cable connection, but I like it.

The apps must be open on both devices for them to detect and transfer photos.

Isn't it a pity that what is I believe a great product, I have both the iPhone 5 and the iPad Air, are ruined by such a stupid folder structure. Is it too much to ask of Apple that when you hook your device up to your PC or Mac you can find the photos you have just taken in one album rather than one of 12. Failing that wouldn't it be logical to allow the person who has spent a lot of money on these great products to organise things by deleting stupid useless empty folders and moving everything into one. Perhaps things will change now that they appear to be copying Samsung with the iPhone 6 as I never had this problem with my Samsung before switching to the iPhone.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sorry Gozoman, I have to correct you on some points. The DCIM folder set-up is an industry standard. You'll find all digital cameras use this folder structure. Apple are simply fitting in with the standard to provide uniformity in regards to photo taking.

As mentioned by others, there are also plenty of apps that help make photo transfer seemless. My personal recommendation is Photo Transfer App.

Just to go over something discussed earlier and touched on here, the multiple folders within the DCIM folder are (in my opinion) created in part, because of the multiple photo taking apps that are being used. They are all given access to the DCIM folder, but are unable to coordinate usage with the other apps, and therefore create a folder for its own use. I acknowledge that folders may be getting created for other reasons as well.

Gozoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry Gozoman, I have to correct you on some points. The DCIM folder set-up is an industry standard. You'll find all digital cameras use this folder structure. Apple are simply fitting in with the standard to provide uniformity in regards to photo taking.

As mentioned by others, there are also plenty of apps that help make photo transfer seemless. My personal recommendation is Photo Transfer App.

Just to go over something discussed earlier and touched on here, the multiple folders within the DCIM folder are (in my opinion) created in part, because of the multiple photo taking apps that are being used. They are all given access to the DCIM folder, but are unable to coordinate usage with the other apps, and therefore create a folder for its own use. I acknowledge that folders may be getting created for other reasons as well.

That may be the case. Having said that I have just connected my Canon DSLR up to my laptop. Under Computer I clicked on the EOS Digital and then on the DCIM folder. Guess what, it opened to one folder called 100 Canon containg the photos I had taken. That is what I'm saying should happen when I connect my iPhone 5, rather than finding 12 seperate folders!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That may be the case. Having said that I have just connected my Canon DSLR up to my laptop. Under Computer I clicked on the EOS Digital and then on the DCIM folder. Guess what, it opened to one folder called 100 Canon containg the photos I had taken. That is what I'm saying should happen when I connect my iPhone 5, rather than finding 12 seperate folders!

Yes, but a digital camera does not have "apps", therefore only the camera itself needs to access the DCIM folder. Notice though the 100 Canon folder within the DCIM folder. A video camera will generally have at least two folders, one for stills and one for video.

In the end, the smart money is on those file transfer apps that make the job seamless.

Most reactions

Latest posts