What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to change default dictionary for Kindle for Ipad

mmper2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there, I have been googling like mad to find out how to change the default dictionary on my kindle for ipad app from English to French. I actually bought the Kindle French dictionary, but now find it entirely useless as I cannot use it in text reading mode!

Is there any way that I can change the default dictionary in the Kindle for iPad to the French dictionary? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
mmper

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this:

1. If you are not already on the Home screen, press the "Home" button.
  2. Press the "Menu" button.
  3. Move the 5-way controller to underline "Settings" and press to select.
  4. Press the "Menu" button.
  5. Move the 5-way to underline "Change Primary Dictionary" and press to select.
  6. Move the 5-way to underline the dictionary you want to use and press to select.
This is from the Kindle Help section "Using the built-in dictionary"

OP
M

mmper2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm

See, I have read this already and was under the impression that this worked only for an actual kindle (as in the ereader) not the kindle app for Ipad...Hence the question posted here...is this correct? or not?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I was thinking you also had a Kindle. My thought was that if you changed it there, it would also change on the iPad, as you are changing your profile on Amazon and the iPad would pickup on that change. Probably wouldn't.:(

OP
M

mmper2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah...

Sadly, I believe that there is no way to make this work too...How sad.... :( ah, what is one to do? Thank you for your help regardless :)

aloola

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there might be a way to change this. It is a workaround, not an official way. I would try to rename the desired default dictionary file on your PC or Mac with the name of the current default dictionary and then make backup to PC or Mac of your current default dictionary faile and then replace the current default dictionary file on ipad with the renamed file. Although in the ipad kindle app menu the label for your dictionary is wrong the content should be right. Besides kindle app offer 2 english dictionaries UK and US. Just replace one of them and keep the other for English-English explanations.

For similar instructions look here: http://learnoutlive.com/add-german-english-dictionary-to-kindle-on-your-ipad-or-iphone-ios/

I tested, it works nicely. The English-UK dictionary name to be used for renaming your dictionary is: B003WUYRGI_EBOK.azw

The nice thing about reading english books with kindle app on ios is that it remembers which English (UK or US) dictionary you used last time. So no need to worry that it will keep using your replaced custom dictionary when you do not want it to.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's an easier way to change and/or use a default dictionary in the Kindle app:

Tap one of the words in a book to highlight it. Three rectangles will appear: Dictionary, Wikipedia and Translate. In the Dictionary part, you'll find an explanation of the word, if you selected a default dictionary. If there's no default dictionary, tap at the bottom:
image.jpg

To see a list of available dictionaries. Tap the one you need and it will start downloading. If it doesn't you'll have to select "Download". As soon as it's loaded, it will be your default dictionary. You can always change that by tapping at the bottom left in Dictionary again and selecting the one you had before, or downloading a new dictionary.

aloola

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The recommendations of J.A.work for people who want either the official English UK or English US dictionary to be the default when reading English language books in iPad Kindle app.

However the recommendations of J.A. do not work for people who need a dictionary of "English-any foreign language". I tried the download of Engels-Nederlands dictionary and tried to select and keep it default in an English language book, but it keeps switching back to English UK after every new tapping of a words for translation. It seems the Kindle app determines the book language and allows default dictionaries only in the selected language.

So my advice remains relevant for people who would like to have dictionary other than English UK or English US default in English language books. And also for people whose destination language is not in the list of bing translator languages in Kindle app or who do not always have an internet connection to use bing translator.

I for example used an English-Estonian dictionary file and renamed it to B003WUYRGI_EBOK.azw to make it appear as default English UK dictionary in English language books. Works without problems.

At least on my iPad 2 iOS 8.1 Kindle version 4.5.2

I guess the official way to translate an English language book phrase into another language inside Kindle App for iOS is using bing translator. However this relies on an internet connection to be present and has a rather limited number of destination languages. It is sad that the selection of bing destination languages inside Kindle app is more limited than in the web version of bing translator.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to translate a word, use the Translate feature:
image.jpg

Tap here (arrow) to select in which language to translate.

Most reactions

Latest posts