How to backup IPad to Airstash?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by larrycruzen, Sep 23, 2014.

1. larrycruzen

larrycruzen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    How do I back up my iPad and iPhone to AirStash?

Larry Cruzen

2. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. larrycruzen

larrycruzen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Wow! Thanks, Andrew. The video tutorial provides a lot of good info & answered a couple of my questions. I saved it so I can refer to it often until it all sinks in.

Problem, though, is that it does not address backing up an entire IPad to Airstash so it could be restored if necessary.....as you can from iCloud.

Where I live there is no wi-fi or any broadband internet access for many miles. Consequently, our iPads & iPhones get backed up to iCloud infrequently.

I was hoping that Airstash would provide a suitable alternative.

Still hoping.....in case anyone has a suggestion.

Larry Cruzen

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You can't. The ability to back up and restore from a device like the AirStash would have to be built into iOS. There are only two backup options, iTunes on a computer and iCloud.

The best you can do with the AirStash is to copy files so they can be copied back if lost. If they choose to do so, AirStash should be able to use iOS 8's new extensions to enhance this ability, but true backups will still be impossible.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Larry - I'd agree w/ TP - I may have recommended the AirStash to you in the first place mainly as a 'backup' to your photos, but will not be an option to BU your entire iPad - as already indicated, you have just two choices. Sorry if my advice was misleading but never meant to imply that it would be a substitute for an iTunes backup (which I do w/ my iPads) or one done to iCloud. Dave :)

6. larrycruzen

larrycruzen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Twerppoet, I had about reached that conclusion. Not really a problem....I will use iTunes & one of my computers. I think iTunes has been significantly upgraded since I last used it a couple of years ago and took a disliking to it.

I'm still enthused about my Airstash.

Larry Cruzen

7. larrycruzen

larrycruzen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You didn't mislead me, Dave. I just jumped to an erroneous conclusion because it offered storage with essentially unlimited capacity (with multiple SD cards).

I'm rapidly coming up to speed on it and very happy with it. Actually, I'm surprised that Airstash isn't better known amongst iPad & iPhone users. I had never heard of it until you referred me to it.

Larry Cruzen

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Larry - glad that you are enjoying the AirStash - I've had mine a while but have not use it probably as much as you already - :) It's a cool gizmo (there's another called Apotop - we have a thread on the forum) - I'm doing most of my iPad backups to my MBPro, so have not use it much; BUT in your situation, I'm sure that backup to SD cards is a reassurance for you. Dave