What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Avoid Mobile Web Sites?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More and more I find that the iPad diverts to mobile versions of web sites.

Is there way to turn the "feature" off?

Thanks.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks.

Heh Heh

Yes!

Just use a different browser, I have a dozen on the iPad -why don't you?

Some are much faster than Safari.
Others can make web sites believe you are hitting them from dozens of different kinds of desktop browsers just like a sophisticated desktop browser with user options.

Ad blocking?

My 64GB iPad has currently 900 apps in 24 GB!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is 4phun with 900 apps

Thanks.

Heh Heh

Yes!

Others can make web sites believe you are hitting them from dozens of different kinds of desktop browsers just like a sophisticated desktop browser with user options.

Ad blocking?

I swore I would never have anymore than I can use on a regular basis. But I just counted 97 apps including the 12 that came with the iPad. I would admit that I have 22 apps in a reject folder that I keep to remind me that I bought them but they were not as I expected.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks.
It is not a feature you can "turn off". The version of Safari that comes with the iPad has what is called a "user agent" that tells the website what kind of device you are using. This is why I use the Atomic browser. You can change it to where the websites think you are using a non-mobile version of Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What are you doing with so many applications ?
Can you name 3 to 10 applications (beside browsers and email) Not origanly came with the iPAD that you are using almost daily ?

I could go into this in some detail but right now I am concerned about the weather in the SE.

There fore I will tell you of an application I am using called intellicast that is iPad only.

It has not only the typical radar display but it has a Roads display indicating where the ICE is. At the same time I came to the conclusion that the roads display didn't look good I got an update from the National Weather Service that the Winter Weather Advisory had been extended much further south to include all of the Atlanta metro area for the next twenty four hours.

Intellicast is one of those apps that use almost all of your ram in the iPad so it is essential to kill most all the other processes if you do not want it to crash on you.

BTW IMHO iPhone apps are unacceptable on the iPad. There are a couple I need but if I can find one that does the exact same thing from someone else the iPhone app is deleted immediately even if I paid for it awhile back.

When I delete an app I take a screen shot of the deletion to remind me to delete it from the desktop version of iTunes or the app will automatically get reinstalled.

Later

Last edited:
OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks.
It is not a feature you can "turn off". The version of Safari that comes with the iPad has what is called a "user agent" that tells the website what kind of device you are using. This is why I use the Atomic browser. You can change it to where the websites think you are using a non-mobile version of Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks.

Heh Heh

Yes!

Ad blocking?

What are you doing with so many applications ?
Can you name 3 to 10 applications (beside browsers and email) Not origanly came with the iPAD that you are using almost daily ?

Nop.
No mistake.

umm...yeah it was.;)

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It looks like the answer is to avoid Safari and use Atomic Browser which allows you to control how it identifies itself to web site.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Atom and then didn't bother with it, sticking with Safari. Are there good reasons for me to try Atom again?

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded Atom and then didn't bother with it, sticking with Safari. Are there good reasons for me to try Atom again?

As I listed in a separate thread:-

1. The option to identify itself as a desktop browser, so you don't get diverted to the mobile versions of some web sites.

2. The availability of tabs, which I like much better than Safari's Most Recent 9 feature.

3. I like the VGA output, although AirPlay (video) would be even better.

4. It is said to be faster, although I don't think dramatically so.

If none on the above interest you, stay with Safari. I changed mainly because of the first two.

Most reactions

Latest posts