What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add more than one mail account on iPad 2

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have just got my ipad 2 today , I have been getting to know it for the last couple of hours, I used to own an iPhone 3 so most of the functions are already known to me, but one thing is driving me bonkers.

I am trying to add more than one e,mail account but for the life of me I cannot figure out how its done.

The instructions say

Set up an account:
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set]In Settings, tap "Mail, Contacts, Calendars." [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][/FONT][/FONT]2
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set]Tap Add Account, then tap Google, Yahoo!, or AOL. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][/FONT][/FONT]3
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set]Enter your name, email address, password, and a description. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][/FONT][/FONT]4
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set]Tap the items you want to use on iPad. Available items depend on the service provider.

But as soon as i tap mail, contacts, calenders it just goes back to the home screen.

How do I add a second or third mail account.

Thanks for any help

Paul
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][FONT=Myriad Set,Myriad Set][/FONT][/FONT]

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Paul - welcome to the forum and sorry about your troubles w/ email accounts! :thumbsdown:

I would suggest some simple initial maneuvers - first, close down the mail app, i.e. double tap the home button opening the multitask bar, find the 'Mail app', press and hold until all jiggle - tap the red circle w/ the hyphen on the Mail app, and then return to the home screen - try to restart the Mail app and see if that helps?

If not, then you might want to 'Restart' or 'Reset' the iPad (if the former does not help) - Directions HERE - if none of these steps resolve your problem, then please post back for further advice - good luck!

OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, I have tried what you suggested and I still have the problem. One thing I have noted which may be the problem. In settings one button does 3 three thing , Mail, Contacts and Calendar. There is also a contacts button on the main screen. If I press contacts from the main screen it opens for a second and then closes, I wonder if it's contacts that is playing up rather than mail.

So there might not be a problem with adding a mail account, it my be the contacts stopping the mail,contacts,Calender from working, anyone got any thoughts on that.

Thanks

Paul

OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although oddly the Calender button does work so maybe I have two faults in the same setup option, contacts and calendar.

My iPad does have is5 on by the way, don't know if that relevant or not

Paul

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to ipf,

This does seem strange. It might be a problem with the contacts app, it could be a glitch in the software. Try to restore your iPad through iTunes and then try again. Let us know what happens.

I hope you find this forum as informative and addictive as I do!
You will find that there are many members with a great knowledge base, waiting to help you with any issue you might have.

# Don't forget to use the search function, as there is a lot of issues already resolved here.
# If you haven't already, download the user manual for free at: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
# Also, feel free to have a look at this thread, it gives great tips and tricks for new users: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
# Ensure you take time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules at: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Now that you are here you will never want to leave, so have the time of your life. :)

Regards,
Chays

Last edited:
OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys

The Plot thickens

I have spoken to Apple Tech support and after performing a full re-store the mail and contacts now work.

When I was trying to sort this out I noticed another problem

When connected to the wall charger, the battery charged fine, but when it was connected to my computors USB port it reported "Not Charging", I tried in on all 6 USB ports on my PC plus the six ports on my Hub, I also tried it on my son's PC and his brand new Sony Laptop and still it reported "Not Charging"

Apple Tech said it must be faulty and told me to take it back to PCWorld for a swap over for a new one.

I have just got back from PC World with another brand new iPad and this is exactly the same.

Anyone had this with their iPad.

Thanks

paul

Most reactions