What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add apps to "open in" feature?

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Occasionally I want to open a page of one app into another app using the "open in" feature, but that app doesn't appear among the choices. Is there a way to add the desired app to the choices?

Larry Cruzen

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Occasionally I want to open a page of one app into another app using the "open in" feature, but that app doesn't appear among the choices. Is there a way to add the desired app to the choices?

Larry Cruzen
Probably not as that would very likely violate Apple app sand boxing rules which strictly limit how apps can interact with each other.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Larry - I'd have to agree w/ Scifan.., i.e. the 'Open in....' feature in an app is likely designed and is limited by Apple's iOS guidelines - have you looked at the 'More..' options by scrolling to the end of the offered other apps; if not, take a look at my screen capture below (Pages doc) - the other issue from your query is wanting to 'open' a single page in another app - not sure that is even possible vs. having the entire 'doc or other' transferred to the other app (just gave that a try in Evernote in the example below - the 3-page Pages doc was saved in its entirety).

Now, just some more information may help - what iPad & iOS are you using currently, and what are the apps mentioned that you want to view a page - may evoke more specific or alternate suggestions, if others might have found a solution? Dave :)
IMG_6918.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To expand a bit.

Apple doesn't pick and choose what apps appear. It's up to the developer. Two things are required. One, the developer has to include the Open In extension in their app. Two, the app must tell iOS it is compatible with the file type you are trying to open.

Girdaman has already shown you where to chedk and see if your app is avialible (if not show). Be sure to check the other ...icon options as well. Open In is not he only choice/extention-type for moving a file to another app, and often not the best.

If your favorite app does not offer a method to move or copy a file from the share sheet, all you can do is contact the develoepr and ask for them to include the feautre.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, gentlemen, for the replies. I use IPad Air 2 with the latest version of IOS.

Usually it's a scanned document that I want to open in a PDF app like PDF EXPERT or PDF FORMS. That problem is now solved by my new favorite scanner app "CLEAR SCANNER PRO" which offers both choices.

It would be nice to be able to open a photo directly into "SNAPSEED" or "PHOTOSHOP TOUCH". When you try to open a photo from one of these apps you have to search for it amongst hundreds of tiny thumbnails.

Larry Cruzen

Most reactions

Latest posts