What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add an icon to the home screen once removed?

Pallie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a work around technique to remove built in or stand app icons from the screen. Now there are a few I would like to add bake to the home screen. For example, Messages, I would like to add the icon back to the home screen. Anyone able to help me? I am more familiar with Android so mew to IOS.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 7?

The only app hiding method I've read about says all you have to do to get all the apps back is reboot the device.

OP
Pallie

Pallie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I reboot I would have to customize everything again from scratch? Sorry, not trying to ask a stupid question.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So if I reboot I would have to customize everything again from scratch? Sorry, not trying to ask a stupid question.
No, you don't have to do this, rebooting/resetting your device won't remove anything. It just can put things back in order that didn't work before.

OP
Pallie

Pallie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. I will have to find the video that shows the work around for moving apps and creating folders. It had a few steps but worked.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I really don't recommend using glitches to customize your screen. These are bugs, and while they are not serious (security) bugs, Apple may still fix them at some point. While this should only unhide your icons again, it is also conceivable it could make the icons permanently unavailable, or mess up the UI in other ways. Apple is not going to test to see how fixing something affects the .01% of people who are taking advantage of a bug to do tweak their device.

The people who discover and tell you about these things are usually developers, tech bloggers, and hackers. It's no skin off their noses to restore an iPhone (or iPad) every two or three days. It's what they do for fun. If it's not your idea of fun, then using their hacking tricks on your iPhone is asking for non-fun down the road.

Hiding the icons via t his glitch/trick gains you very little. It does not save space. It does not stop them from being the default apps. All you get is not seeing them.

Putting all the unwanted apps in a folder and moving that folder to you very last Home Screen, even making that last Home Screen nothing but the unwanted icons, will gain you almost the same thing: Out of site, Out of mind. And you don't have to play glitch games, re-hide icons every time you reboot, or wonder how to get one of the apps back incase you need it later.

Last edited:
OP
Pallie

Pallie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is sound advice. Unfortunately the more I use my iPad the less I like it. So many restrictions and limitations, too many for my taste. I am a tech savvy person and I have never been thus frustrated with a product. The list of annoyances is getting to long. Thanks for your input, very much appreciated and something I wasn't really considering. Never had such issues with Google products.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a trade off of problems. Probably always will be. There is no such thing as the perfect device for everyone, because everyone has different needs, wants, and tastes. No device is capable of being everything to everyone. At least not at this time.

There was a time when the ability to configure to the max would have sent me Android's way. I enjoyed it. These days I quickly tire of fiddling with interfaces and twiddling with apps. What I discovered, at least for myself, is that there is no end of trying to make thing just a bit better, a bit more the the way I want. At some point I either say, good enough, or I decide that fiddling with the device is my main use for it.

I spent three days tweaking my Nexus 7 before it was 'good enough'. That was without rooting or ROMS; which are way overboard for my purposes. I'm still not entirely happy with it, but I'm unwilling to spend anymore time on UI tweaking.

For me the iPad's interface is already 'good enough', and I can just use my device. The decisions Apple made happen to be fairly close to the kind of simplicity and smoothness I prefer.

All a matter of what you happen to like, and what you enjoy doing.

Most reactions