What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to actually shut down an App?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the advent of multitasking, Apps no longer actually shut down when you press the Home button. Before long there are lots of Apps on the task bar.

I regularly go to the task bar and shut everything down. Is there a simple way to close Apps completely when you are finished with them?

By the way, do Apps on the task bar consume power even while the iPad is in sleep mode? Recently I was surprised to hear the sound that indicates new mail while the iPad was in sleep mode.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn your mail box(s) to inactive

and it won't continue to check for mail all night long. Or power it down completely, otherwise mail just keeps on ticking, gathering new messages. every one of my apps shows in the status bar at the bottom, not just those in files. They are closed, not open.

Snarky30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and it won't continue to check for mail all night long. Or power it down completely, otherwise mail just keeps on ticking, gathering new messages. every one of my apps shows in the status bar at the bottom, not just those in files. They are closed, not open.

I'm confused when you say that all your apps show in the status bar at the bottom. Are we talking about the multitask bar? Because if they are showing there and the app supports multitasking, then they are definitely running in the background.

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also wonder how to close applications in a convenient way. Most apps probably just sleeps when no user imput is given, but there are some always busy....
I do not like the two-click on the home button, I would like to use three fingers tap to open the list, maybe even in a better way, full screen. Unfortunately three fingers tap can be only assigned some rather useless commands, those commands could go into double click.

The whole inconvenience seem to be inherited from IOS 3, no application needed exit menu/button. I wish newest iPad apps will introduce exit.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm confused when you say that all your apps show in the status bar at the bottom. Are we talking about the multitask bar? Because if they are showing there and the app supports multitasking, then they are definitely running in the background.

Yes, I meant the MultiTask bar, the one that you get when you double click the Home button (I think that's what it's called).

I wonder whether this is why I am not gettig the battery life that I expect. I sounds likely, especially with regard to email.

Snarky30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I've left games running overnight before and it took a big hit on my battery. I think any app that supports multitasking and running in the background is going to draw power even when the iPad is "sleeping".

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for mail, go into SETTINGS > Mail, Contacts... > Fetch New Data > and set it to Manual and at the top of the page PUSH = off. This way mail will only update when you open the mail app. If you have multiple email providers tap on ADVANCED and turn each account to manual also.

Multitask bar. If you leave apps that use the location feature, then they will always be updating in the background. Go into SETTINGS again and turn LOCATION SERVICES off when you don't need them. They use GPS and that eats power.
Most apps in the Multitask bar will just be on hold, not running. It's like a place holder or bookmark, when you pause it, it just remembers where you are, so that when you restart the app, it will resume where you left off. Great for game that support it. This function draws very minimal power, not enough to drain the battery by any significant amount.

Turn 3g and wifi off when not in use.

There are many more tips on power savings on the forums, check them out.

I do all these things and my iPad last for two to three days on a charge.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't turn location services off and close apps etc but still at least 3 days

But I have brightness down tonalmost the minimum

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As already stated the majority of Apps do nothing while sitting in the background. The iPad just saves state for those Apps so when you runthem they can launch quickly. Some Apps don't support multitasking at all, so when you switch apps they do nothing at all but they still show up in the task list so you can launch them again without going to the home screen.

A few Apps, mostly alarm clocks and music Apps do run in the background, but consume less resources in the background than if they are the active App.

All apps in the background have some memory being used until they are closed completely. Not much, but if you have dozens of Apps in the task bar they will add up.

I recommend working with your apps and ignore the number in the task bar for awhile. Then if there is a decidely faster burn on your battery, try shutting down an App and see if it helps. Before long you will get an idea of which of those Apps are the culprits and can shut them down regularly as needed.

As I said in another thread I usually go two or three days between charges, and I am a heavy user of my iPad: music, videos, Netflix, reading, audiobooks and a ton of games. So I think with some preparation you can get very good battery life with the iPad.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak you can set an action to get rid of all the apps in the multitasking bar at once. I use it all the time.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
If you jailbreak you can set an action to get rid of all the apps in the multitasking bar at once. I use it all the time.

Which app or tweak is this??

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another option is to use an app that can free up your ram.
Then you can ignore the multitask bar without j/b'ing.
Using xsysinfo here.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That little half circular arrow at the top right releases the ram.
Give it several pushes if you don't have much left for running apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts