What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to access files on VPN edit them and resave them back?

nizmoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, been trying to figure out a easy way to do this with unsuccess. I have used File Manager to access the files over the VPN on my work network, and can edit them. But I can not save them back to the network it seems. I noticed with Documents to Go, it allows me to sorta save them back with File Manager but they must be a different file name or it will say Read Only file.

Does anyone know of another work around?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed this behavior when I use Dropbox: If I open a document with Document to Go using the "Open In..." function of Dropbox, I cannot save the document back up to Dropbox. I get the same error and if I want to save it, I have to re-name it.

What I figured out was happening was I was getting the error because the file was still open in Dropbox (either because of multi-tasking or because that's the file that's open...honestly not sure why...). Since the file was open in another app/place, any changes I was making could not be saved.

So, what I did was I learned to either (1) remove Dropbox from the multi-tasking bar or (2) go back into Dropbox and navigate away from that document (in effect, closing it).

So, maybe it's the same situation for you? Try closing down File Manager or navigate away from the document in File Manager and see what happens.

Worth a shot, yeah? Otherwise, my suggestion to you would be to use Dropbox in the manner I just described here...

Marilyn

P.S. Dropbox is free for 2GB storage ... so there's no money involved in getting/using it.

OP
N

nizmoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed this behavior when I use Dropbox: If I open a document with Document to Go using the "Open In..." function of Dropbox, I cannot save the document back up to Dropbox. I get the same error and if I want to save it, I have to re-name it.

What I figured out was happening was I was getting the error because the file was still open in Dropbox (either because of multi-tasking or because that's the file that's open...honestly not sure why...). Since the file was open in another app/place, any changes I was making could not be saved.

So, what I did was I learned to either (1) remove Dropbox from the multi-tasking bar or (2) go back into Dropbox and navigate away from that document (in effect, closing it).

So, maybe it's the same situation for you? Try closing down File Manager or navigate away from the document in File Manager and see what happens.

Worth a shot, yeah? Otherwise, my suggestion to you would be to use Dropbox in the manner I just described here...

Marilyn

P.S. Dropbox is free for 2GB storage ... so there's no money involved in getting/using it.

True, we may need to utilize dropbox but would love to have access to our VPN where we can just write back over it again. Will have to try this method. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts