What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How strong is an iPad mini?

lizzleberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I have just got my first iPad, and am worried about breaking it.
My phone has this "gorilla glass" screen and I'm happy to throw it about as I see fit, but I have seen so many apple products with cracked and scratched up screens.
Does the iPad mini have any reinforced materials that could help prevent damage through knocks, drops or rough handling?
How easy is it to scratch the glass surface?
Should I get a screen protector for it?
I have a "smart cover" thing on the way which will probably stay on the iPad permanently, but should I also get an unofficial case for it?
Thanks for any help
Liz

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Best bet is to put it in an OtterBox. That gives protection without adding too much weight.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you plan to toss it about willy-nilly, then yeah, get an OtterBox case.

I have mine in a thin light weight case, that preserves the slim look and light weight. I would never put mine in an Otterbox, because the notion of that ruins, to me, the entire notion of the mini.

The outer housing, which is metal, will indeed scratch. It will show more on the black version. As for the screen....I have a case, so the screen is closed when i'm not using it, so I don't worry about scratching it. But I'm sure if you get the right something against that screen, you can cut a groove in it. Even gorilla class can be scratched...all you need to do is find something that is harder than the glass....like bits of sand or grit. For me, however, NONE of my screens have ever been scratched...but that is more a function of how I use them. I don't baby them, but I don't toss them around either.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you plan to toss it about willy-nilly, then yeah, get an OtterBox case.

I have mind is a thin light weight case, that preserves the slim look and light weight. I would never put mine in an Otterbox, because the notion of that ruins, to me, the entire notion of the mini.

The outer housing, which is metal, will indeed scratch. It will show more on the black version. As for the screen....I have a case, so the screen is closed when i'm not using it, so I don't worry about scratching it. But I'm sure if you get the right something against that screen, you can cut a groove in it. Even gorilla class can be scratched...all you need to do is find something that is harder than the glass....like bits of sand or grit. For me, however, NONE of my screens have ever been scratched...but that is more a function of how I use them. I don't baby them, but I don't toss them around either.

Agreed. My iPad 2 is in an Otterbox because it's used in a truck most of the time on roads that would shake your teeth loose. However, I prefer to use it out of the box whenever possible, because, while the Otterbox gives very good levels of protection, it does not look good and adds weight. When my son's friends are using it, I don't have to worry about what food residues they may have on their hands, which is also a bonus.

My MBP lives in a sleeve when it's not being used, but I bought it partly because I like the look of it. I wouldn't want to cover it up. I'd rather be careful with it.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a screen protector, not to prevent scratches, but I seem to 'dribble' stuff on the screen and i feel safer cleaning the protector screen and knowing I can replace it if I do scratch it. Reduces glare a bit too.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the Otterbox, can't stand it because of the sharp corners where the stand/shield snaps on. Ended up with a case-mate tough xtreme....just as rugged as the Otterbox with a built in screen protector but no stretchy silicone to get loose and attract dust.

Jadeuu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
get a leather case for it and take care of it all the time, I think it will be good.

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Griffin Defender case for my mini. Once I got into the case ( no easy thing as the instructions are inside the assembled case ), I managed to get my mini inside. I need a very secure case for my device as it is exposed to the weather and extremes of temperature almost daily. The defender is built to military specifications and provides wind, sand, and water protection. All switches and camera openings as well as the speakers are protected from the elements. It is a bulky case and will not win many beauty contests but it works well for my use.

TommyGun619

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a screen protector from Tech Defense. It's installed with a cover screen and dried in a dryer to make sure it doesn't come off. Scratch resistant and if it ever gets damaged they will replace it for free. For the cover I bought a Targus. Very durable without the bulk. My Mini is almost damage proff. Love my screen protector and my cover. I would recommend them both to any IPad user they're greeeeeaaaatttt!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello
I have just got my first iPad, and am worried about breaking it.
My phone has this "gorilla glass" screen and I'm happy to throw it about as I see fit, but I have seen so many apple products with cracked and scratched up screens.
Does the iPad mini have any reinforced materials that could help prevent damage through knocks, drops or rough handling?
How easy is it to scratch the glass surface?
Should I get a screen protector for it?
I have a "smart cover" thing on the way which will probably stay on the iPad permanently, but should I also get an unofficial case for it?
Thanks for any help
Liz

Where have you seen these damaged iDevices? If on YouTube, you do not know how rigged the "test" is or how the owner used/abused the device. Remember, Gorilla Glass is not forever. It can be damaged. If you see these devices out in the wild, you might not know how much they were abused.

Trust me . . . the iPhone/iPad is a substantial product with an exceptional build quality.

Now, if you are "happy to throw it about as I see fit . . ." expect damage. no phone can be treated that way and survive. Clarify what you mean.

Anything can be damaged if mistreated. I have seen plenty of broken phones out there.

Most reactions