What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How safe is credit card info given to Apple?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been lots of claims of Apple being hacked, but in all cases, it has been shown to be the result of getting the information outside of Apple's control. This does not mean that any organization is safe, but you are more likely to be ripped off in your favorite restaurant than Apple or Amazon. A popular new technology to steal your credit info today is to have a pocket scanner to read the data from the cards remotely. This does no good for Amazon or Apple because it does not include the security code.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ampress said:
What if the device iPad or iPod or iPhone is stolen? Can the thief run up a large bill?

Always password protect your devices.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love how every one feels that because Apple is a large company their credit card data or any data with them is safe with them. American Express, Amazon, Bank of America, and Google are just a few of the major companies that have credit card or personal data.

Simple fact is ANY company can have their data/system hacked and the data can be stolen, or just mismanaged by the company.

As we are not going to stop shopping online it is up to us the manage our credit card accounts and if you see any strange activity report it ASAP.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One way to reduce your odds of being hacked is to be a bit sneaky about the passwords. You can be more secure if you do not do the obvious with passwords. I tried most methods and found them lacking. Using the same password for numberous sites is folly. Using random combinations is also not viable because you forget and wind up writing the password down. My method is simple. Go to the dictionary and find a word of 6-8 letters that you have never heard before. Take one of the letters and capitalize it. For each site you go to, make a password with that word and 2-3 letters/numbers to designate the site. For example, Amazon might be maKi2a1o in a code that uses the word maki and the number of vowels in the site name. Apple would be maKi1a1e, or you could use the format 1a1emAki. This gives you a different password for each web site you go to, but has a format that you can remember how its done. There are other ways to increase the difficulty, like updating all passwords on a regular basis. Usually by changing the word used.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figure we're all at risk, because anyone can be hacked. I take basic precautions such as:

Don't give credit card info to companies unless I think they're legit (otherwise use PayPal).

Check CC statements monthly.

Keep all purchase receipts and shred later.

Beware of phishing scams.

Use strong passwords, as Seadog suggests.

On the signature line of my credit cards, I print in permanent marker, "Check ID."

Try to isolate online purchases to one CC, so it would be easier to clean up if someone messed with my account info.

If a company with my CC info were hacked and I were notified, I'd cancel that CC number by asking the CC company for a new card. You can report the card stolen, for instance. I've done that and continued service with the same CC company without a hitch for more than a decade.

By the way, some homeowners insurance policies include free credit cleanup service (up to a certain amount) if someone steals your credit. I think AAA, some company perks and some credit cards also offer that kind of service.

Last edited:
OP
Ampress

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seeing the way Sony and Google have been hacked, it certainly is cause for concern.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's all common semse really. But look what's happened to Sony (again) this is not a financial attack, it's a "Get your own back" thing. Since I don't play online games of any kind, and gave my xbox away a few months back I'm not worried.

I don't think Sony users should be either. These Hackers are after publicity, not money.

Changing bank account numbers Credit cards, Debit Cards etc . is a pain in itself. Then informing everyone you have an account with is an utter nigtmare.

It happens to me every 4 years when the new cards come through the post, and I have to change the numbers with all the people I deal with.

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And according to The Independent today Sony kept the cc details in unencrypted files! If that is true that is rank stupidity on their part and they surely deserve all that comes their way.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parcas1 said:
And according to The Independent today Sony kept the cc details in unencrypted files! If that is true that is rank stupidity on their part and they surely deserve all that comes their way.

That's kind of hard to believe but if it is true they may well fall foul of the Data Protection Act here in the UK.

The Archangel

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't Believe What You Read

In the papers, Sony held secure, encrypted information. Hacking of this type is pretty simple, if I was a gambling man I would venture to suggest that an employee was at the root of this.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Changing bank account numbers Credit cards, Debit Cards etc . is a pain in itself. Then informing everyone you have an account with is an utter nigtmare.

It happens to me every 4 years when the new cards come through the post, and I have to change the numbers with all the people I deal with.

No one would change their cc numbers for fun. It would be a protective measure if you were worried that your credit might be compromised.

Might be that your credit card company operates differently. Mine sends me new cards and I keep the same number unless I close the account or declare the card lost or stolen. The expiration date changes on the new card is all.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
No one would change their cc numbers for fun. It would be a protective measure if you were worried that your credit might be compromised.

Might be that your credit card company operates differently. Mine sends me new cards and I keep the same number unless I close the account or declare the card lost or stolen. The expiration date changes on the new card is all.

True, but every couple of years the banks replace your cards.....Then it's 20 direct debits at least to inform of the card number changes otherwise it's " we tried to take this months payment but were unable to process" !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

True, but every couple of years the banks replace your cards.....Then it's 20 direct debits at least to inform of the card number changes otherwise it's " we tried to take this months payment but were unable to process" !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Same is true of my banks: Same card number on new cards, just new expiry date. You'd have to update auto-bill companies of the new expiry date, of course. I have a new debit/ATM card in my wallet now, because my old one is about to expire. Everything is the same except the expiration and the card design, which the bank changed.

Most reactions

Latest posts