What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often you connect your iPad to computer (iTunes)?

How often you connect your iPad to computer (iTunes)?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Once a day

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • Once a week

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Once a month

Votes: 36 15.4%
  • Rarely (except OS upgrade/jail break etc.)

Votes: 59 25.2%

• Total voters

jinxx00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my Ipad2 for only 2 months - but I checked rarely. Apparently IPads don't really like the Acer laptop I have - so the Genius at the bar told me. This is why my first Ipad2 got screwed up, they said. They tried to fix it & accidentally let the power run out on their Mac & consequently thoroughly stuffed that IPad - so they replaced it (when stock became available). She suggested I sync only when I have to - as some IPads just don't like being connected to computers, she said. Seriously! Lol!

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I...
Apparently IPads don't really like the Acer laptop I have - so the Genius at the bar told me. This is why my first Ipad2 got screwed up, they said. T...

:confused:

They were joking! I got a Santa Rosa MacBook, a 7years old Vaio and a couple Acer, I'm now syncing to a 14" portable Aspire5051 and no problema. Nor with Vaio or Acer...

Never liked the iTunes soft since the beginning (10 years ago?) but it's working for me. I do it once a day except when travelling if I am able to update apps on the iPad.

I would do it twice or more if I were requested. :D

MacEllatron HD

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I connect about once a week or so. Though I believe iTunes could use a complete overhaul in terms of design and organization, I’ve never found it problematic on my Mac(s). Been using it since it came out.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Only to upgrade the iOS version. Can't wait for iOS 5 where I won't need to do that anymore...

VicoPad addict!

Loraco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to do this more often I have only done it once

Sent from my iPad to here!

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Loraco said:
I need to do this more often I have only done it once

Sent from my iPad to here!

Soon you won't have too. OTA updates FTW!!! Woooot

nrdh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I should do it more often buts I never think about it

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rarely.. maybe once every month or so. I am like Tim and consider iTunes nearly incomprehensible and maybe even a virus. Admittedly, I know just enough about iTunes to be dangerous, as the following gripe list will no doubt attest.

But:
1) how do you handle multiple users on a PC with different libraries and different user accounts? What? iTunes is not meant to be used in a multi-user account environment?

2) how do you move the files on your iDevice to the computer after losing a HD (without using 3rd party software?) Oh? iTunes is crippled and won't let you do that?

3) do you really know what files you need to completely back up iTunes including playlists, etc.? (yes, I think I do... now)

4) how about using another computer to backup your iDevice(s).. we are allowed to connect to 5 computers, right? What? It says synced to another computer and wants to replace all the data on the iDevice with what's on that particular computer? I don't think so!

5) iTunes wants to backup your device. Do you have any control over where that backup is stored? No? Well that's great, I have a 60GB main drive (C:\) and a 300 GB data drive (D:\) and it wants to backup a 64GB iDevice to my C:\ drive? That ain't gonna fly. (ok, it's the kids' computer and they have two 64GB iTouches.)

6) when updating apps, I have to change over to whatever user ID got the original app and homeshared it with me. Really? Sheesh.

7) I do not want iTunes backing up to my C:\ (OS and program) drive. It is an 80GB SSD. I want to tell iTunes where to put the backup. Afterall, I have a 320GB data drive, a 2TB data drive, and a 1.5TB external drive with plenty of room. What? I can't do that? (see #5... already been there and done that)

8) I never really have any confidence that I know what iTunes is doing when I'm transferring purchases or syncing... or selecting options within iTunes. I hold my nose, close my eyes, and click the button hoping I'm not going to take out the entire eastern seaboard power grid.

9) argh. iTunes. Crippleware.

Please tell me my gripes #1-7 listed above are inaccurate perceptions of iTunes and are easily dealt with.

Sorry. Had to vent a bit.

OTOH, I am encouraged to learn that update OTA may be coming! Or is someone just playing a cruel joke on me?

tomster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not as much as I would like to
My computer is really slow:(

Sent from my big touch-screen thing:)

Last edited:

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backup once a week. I can't wait until IOS 5 comes out! I hate using iTunes.

Sent from my iPad 64G 3G using iPF

hayroset

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question, how often is recommeded? I've done it once and I have had my ipad for a couple of weeks.

Most reactions