how much will you pay for the mini iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by happy123, Jul 12, 2012.

1. happy123

happy123
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I heard that Apple may have redesigned some of the innards of the new iPad 2 as they lowered the price," writes Moorhead, "but not nearly enough to offset the $100 price reduction, so a mini-iPad would be additive, not dilutive like the $399 iPad 2,and how much will you pay for the new mini iPad? I need some help,thanks!

2. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I can't see it being any cheaper than the current device. There just isn't enough of a cost savings in parts and labor, and Apple is not going to create a loss leader or run with short margins on any of their products. They simply don't do that.

3. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst
    Expand Collapse

In order to compete with similar sized Android tablets like the Nexus 7, NOOK Tablet, Galaxy Tab and the Kindle Fire, it would have to be around the 250 for a 16GB version and 300 for a 32GB one, but its close to iPod Touch territory with that.

4. nightowl88

nightowl88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    they also said apple might bring out an cheaper iPhone, the iPhone 5 for around 400 $, I can't imagine that is possible - production costs and so on - and who would pay for an normal iPhone then?

5. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    They have no reason to compete in the bargain products space.

They have never done it with any of their product lines, so why would they bother to do it now.

It's a PC and Android mentality to compete on price. Never been what has driven Apple.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    What Apple should do is just introduce a bigger iPod Touch in the fall. Just make that one bigger and they are done.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    How can anyone set a price without knowing a device's specs?

8. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst
    Expand Collapse

Easy, by looking at what it would have to compete with.

Specs matter to some people, but it hasn't affected the success of the Kindle Fire with lower memory and a single core cpu vs devices with dual-core and double the memory.

9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The price will depend partly on how much it costs to make, which specs decide.

10. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst
    Expand Collapse

Yes and no.

It depends on the way the device is marketed.

The Google Nexus 7 comes with $25 market credit in order to get people to buy content for it (and continue to buy)

the Kindle Fire works ok as a device, but works best with an Amazon Prime subscription.

More and more, companies are moving towards the console strategy, sell the device at a loss and make up for it by the sales of content.
    A PS3 or an XBOX 360 don't make money unless 3-4 games are purchased for each console.