What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much do you pay for data use for your ipad

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3 gigs of 4g LTE, and a wifi router with 5gigs and I pay $30.00, and $50.00for both

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64gig white Verizon iPad 3rd gen with an unlimited data plan that costs me 54.99 a month. Yes, you heard me correctly, UNLIMITED data plan. I also have road runner turbo from timewarner for my house which my company pays for.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mannyberrios said:
I have 3 gigs of 4g LTE, and a wifi router with 5gigs and I pay $30.00, and $50.00for both

This has been posted in the Polling Forum and as it is not a Poll and there are too many variables to make it one I will transfer this to General Discussions.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm paying $30/mo for 2GB. Been saving it up all month and my bill period ends in a few days. Currently at 22.2%. I'm not sure if I can use the remaining 1.56GB before the cycle starts anew. I guess I will have to do a netflix while at MacDonalds. :)

Yettiman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
£12.50 on top off my std tariff.

I connect via my iPhone and O2 rip you £12.50 a month for the pleasure, of connecting the devices and accessing the Internet.

Enough said

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a 64 GB wifi One for two years but occasionally while traveling used my husband's mobile hot spot. We have lots of free wifi in. my small city but still I wanted some 3/4G availability so bought Ipad three 3/4G 64 GB this time. I'm using the 1GB for $20 from Verizon and not using even 1/2 of it. I do expect to up it for travel but for now 1GB is fine (altho' if I used more the 2GB for $30 would be a better value).

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 64gig white Verizon iPad 3rd gen with an unlimited data plan that costs me 54.99 a month. Yes, you heard me correctly, UNLIMITED data plan. I also have road runner turbo from timewarner for my house which my company pays for.

That's expensive.
I pay $30/mo. for AT&T grandfathered unlimited.

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IGonz said:
That's expensive.
I pay $30/mo. for AT&T grandfathered unlimited.

Are you sure you are unlimited? I heard that AT&T is not really unlimited anymore. They start throttling you after 3gigs. This applies to those that are grandfathered as well.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T offered $30 unlimited data for the first couple months the original iPad was offered. When it became more popular than expected, they discontinued the offer. And if a person let their plan lapse, they could not return to it. As other carriers offered the iPad, unlimited was never offerred. The strangling of the unlimited plan by AT&T was defeated in court. A lot of the desire to throttle has to do with headaches in areas where they cannot keep up with demand. I am on the unlimited plan and until they come up with something cheaper and better, I have no intentions of stopping the plan.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score

They are talking about the Iphone not the Ipad. The statement says smartphone. I don't know why people keep overlooking this and I actually know a few who prematurely left their Ipad unlimited plan because of this.The data on the iphone is $30 as well....at least that's what it says on my bill. My total cell bill is $64/mo.
They began throttling me in February. I can still stream my podcasts,slingplayer,TuneIn Radio while throttled on my iPhone. I thought I would have to get rid of my Iphone because I was not going to change my way of use and was planning to get a pay as you go phone with text but everything is fine.
Actually I would not have known I was throttled if not for the text warning and apps taking about 30 seconds longer to start video.
I started a new billing month yesterday so it is back to around 3g/0.40. Last billing period ended with 7.3M data use.
Throttling my grandpa unlimited Iphone is not as bad as I thought it would be.

My ipad is 30/mo. grandpa unlimited. Averaging around 10g/mo. with no problems streaming Netflix,Hulu,Slingplayer,etc.
No throttling I know of. My data use is over 12g and I still have a few days left for this period.

Last edited:

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that's interesting to know about the iPad not being throttled. I'm surprised with AT&T's track record for screwing over the little guy that they haven't yet. As far as my plan is concerned, it is actually a smartphone plan since Verizon doesn't and has never offered an unlimited plan for tablets. I have an unlimited data, email, and text plan for 54.99 a month. I did not add a voice plan to it since I just use google voice to make and receive calls for free and I already have an iPhone 4s which is a business phone so my company pays for that. I don't need the text or email portion either but they won't allow me to take that off. To use this plan on the new iPad I just take the micro sim out of my Samsung stratosphere (u can use any phone that has a micro sim) and put it inside the new iPad. It takes about two minutes to provision and voila! Your unlimited phone plan is on your iPad LTE and all. If you have a voice plan too then that doesnt carry over. This works with the galaxy 10.1 as well. If I want to use the stratosphere I can just swap the sim back and forth. I realize I can tether too but I find that a little slower and plus this way I don't have to carry 2 phones and a tablet. Verizon is aware of this and it is allowed without any penalties such as throttling or being kicked off of the plan. As a matter of fact, you are allowed to use that micro sim in any Verizon device that accepts it such as the mifi. This is one of the fcc rules Verizon had to follow when they acquired the 700mhz spectrum.

I discovered this while browsing the Macrumors forum. It was a very welcome discovery for me as my data usage has consistently been over 10gigs a month. Now I don't have to constantly monitor my data usage anymore.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have no wifi and are depending solely on my iPad 4G with Verizon. I started out with 5GB for $50/mo but switched to 10GB for $80/mo. Since Verizon has hotspot capability, I dropped the Virgin mobile unlimited $40+tax plan for my laptop/tablet and desktop computers. I used about 5GB on those every month. That's the price you pay when you live in the country!

OP
mannyberrios

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPhone 4s, and I got throttled about four months I a row, and I said, I better get this new iPad . I am with AT&T , I have unlimited with the iPhone, and with the iPad , I have the 50 g for $50.00, and the 4g LTE , 3G for $30.00, all with AT&T . With this new iPad , I am in love, and I don't have to over use the iPhone . It costs more, but I am happy.

Most reactions

Latest posts