What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many people here actually use a screen protector?

Do you use a sreen protector?

• Yes

Votes: 49 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 42 42.9%
  • Not bothered - I see no real benefit

Votes: 7 7.1%

• Total voters

Dawn Baggott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I definitely use one even though it's in a leather case. It has to last me a long time so better safe than sorry even though it's insured. Go for it.

L

Lunar

I have one fitted to both our iPads... if you think there's a possibility it may get scratched then fit one. I've now become rather good at fitting them, without a single bubble, and with the very thin crystal clear type I use, you cannot tell I have one fitted.. and for peace of mind it's worth it. I have gone long periods in the past without anything at all, and I never suffered a single scratch, but you simply never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd rather risk scratches than put up with a screen protector. That said, I've not scratched any of the screens on my three generations of iPhone, iPod touch, three iPads (gave one away), Kindle Fire, Kindle e-ink reader, Android phone or my ancient iPod (and that iPod took a beating without a case, but the screen remains pristine).

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use one, too much hard earned money spent to chance a scratch.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want my take?
I have had my iPad 3 for just under a month now. The day I got it, I installed the newest Zagg screen protector.
Now, I'm ready to take it off. The pro who installed it did an expert job. The plastic feels tacky to the touch and if you look closely you can see a wavy texture not crystal clear. The glass is strong. My iPhone 4 has not had a screen protector since day one. I'm in construction and keep it in my pocket all day with keys, screws and coin. I gave it a really close up inspection and there is not one scratch on it! Not one. With the iPad, it will be treated with tender loving care. Knowing that the glass is the same grade and how strong the glass is, I'm confident that it will feel great naked and I am not worried that it will be scratched. If you intend to expose your iPad to kids, rough service and let everybody play with it, then I would say install one.
But for me, it's coming off tomorrow.
Good luck.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said before it's completely not necessary. My iPhone screen travels in my pocket with keys and coins and it is not scratched yet.
But whatever turns your crank.

spiritedcharm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After years of using screen protectors on all my devices, I was finally recently convinced that they are totally unnecessary unless you live in an area where there is a lot of sand. Very few materials will "accidentally" scratch glass. Sand will. So when I go on my beach vacation, I will install a cheap protector, but it will be removed when I return home. Screen protectors were initially invented for PDAs that had plastic screens. The more durable "gorilla glass" screens used today really take some effort to scratch. I am really enjoying the naked screens on my iphone and ipad and I will continue to do so without worry. I've even convinced some of my friends to remove their screen protectors. I really think they are a scam. And for those of you who say "my screen protector needed to be replaced because of scratches, so glad they weren't on my screen" - duh - the screen protector is plastic. Of course it will scratch easily .:p

Alladin2998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not use a screen protector. Keep it in the case, use a stylus and clean on a daily basis. It still looks like new.

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always used a protector just to be on the safe side. However, I have never used a device with the clarity and resolution of an iPad 3, so I looked around pretty carefully. I can now heartily endorse the Power Support Crystal Film.

Shipping took a week, but it was free FedEx Ground, so I can't complain. The box contains one protector and a cleaning cloth. I used the hot-shower routine and applied the shield in an upstairs bathroom where the cat never goes. I also donned latex gloves from the drugstore.

I watched the application videos carefully, so I was ready. The peeling-back of the protection layer went fine, though I did touch a corner of the sticky side with a gloved fingertip and the latex glove did leave a little residue. So DON'T-DON'T-DON'T touch the sticky side. Just don't, that's all.

Lining up the camera hole was easy, and pulling the protector-side off from underneath allowed the film to glide easily onto the iPad screen. When I found the application off-center a bit by the time I reached the Home button, it was no problem to peel the film most of the way back up, make the needed adjustment, and lay it back down again. Yes, there were some bubbles, but they squeegeed out readily, using a fingertip. I found one piece of dust under the film, and I was able to remove it immediately by peeling back and grabbing the dust with masking tape.

I have the white iPad, so the schmutz from the gloved finger (see above) doesn't show. There are no bubbles left. As for the film itself, I perceive no difference in screen brightness, sharpness or resolution between film-on and film-off. There's some noticeable drag on my Griffin stylus, but I expected that and it's not a problem (the resistance seems to lessen with use, so maybe the stylus itself is getting used to the film.) I also need to touch the stylus to the screen for a millisecond before scrolling, etc., but that's a small trade for the security of having a good protector.

So that's it. Power Support Crystal Film. I give it an A.

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update May 31, 2012
Zagg HD clear Saran wrap has been removed from my month old iPad. Man that piece of plastic was really really thick.
I am overly pleased with the feel of naked glass which is oh so smooth and not sticky. And the clarity, whoa it's like crystal clear HD!
Now I can truly appreciate the awesomeness of retina display!! :) :)
Oh, almost forgot, wiping the face with the plastic wrap on, lots of rubbing. With it off, smudges and prints wipe away with a lite stroke of the micro fiber.
This is iPad as it is meant to be!

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use a screen protector for either of my iPads. I own an iPad 2 and the new iPad 3. I got both in March just within days of each other.

My iPad 2 is my everyday work iPad. I take it with me in the car on my sales route, have my customers sign on the screen with a stylus, use it for interactive presentations (which my customers physically handle the iPad), eat breakfast and lunch while using the iPad - sauce, oil, and coffee splatters on the screen, wiped off with regular paper towels. Since its my everyday wear & tear device, I even let my cats have a go at it. I installed the app Cat Toys, which is basically a mouse that runs around on the screen and emits a squeak every time it's caught (by tapping on it, and in this case, with paws). My cats love that app and eagerly wait for me to cue it up so they can have at it, claws and teeth!

My iPad 3 is my baby, which I handle with utmost care. I wash my hands before handling it, use only the finest microfiber cloth to gently brush off the smallest speck of dust, and use it in vacuum environment settings as much as possible. I put it in an Otterbox Defender to protect it from the harsh, cruel, outside world. The cats aren't even allowed in the same room it's in!

One day, as I was properly cleaning the pad 2 (microfiber cloth w/ a very light hint of moisture), I noticed that the glass had not one scratch. I inspected it closely under a bright lamp, and it looked identical to my iPad 3. It was then I realized that the gorilla glass can really take some abuse. Since then, I appreciated the iPad for what it is. An everyday device that can entertain, inform, help with tasks and productivity, and for some, sharpen your cats' hunting skills. I've taken the iPad 3 out of the defender case (man I couldn't stand that distorted screen!!!) and put it in a folio case. Now I use it like a normal person would. The cats still aren't allowed to play with it though.
Cliff notes to the above:
iPad's gorilla glass can withstand a bunch of stuff, including cat claws.

Most reactions

Latest posts