What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many opted for Applecare for their new iPad 2.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Subject pretty much covers it. I was just wondering how many went ahead and purchased it. I did because I was in an apple store couple weeks ago and a lady came in with a 1 1/2 year old laptop which had problems and they gave her a new computer because she had it.

ThePhotog Jon

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't bother. I have SquareTrade. I have never had an Apple product fail... but I have spilled coffee on a few aluminum keyboards. I've also drop a laptop while getting off a train. Apple Care won't cover what I fear most... and what I see as the greatest danger to my iPad... clumsy me!

I don't really need tech support or help. If the hardware fails in the first year I'll raise hell... after that I guess it's on me. But Let me just say I have a Beige Mac SE and it still runs, reads disks and if I could find 56K dial up I could go online...

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got Apple Care on my iPad, both my iPhones, iPod touch, and all my Macs.

I've had my iPad replaced with a new one twice(I have young children) my iPhone 3GS was replaced with a new one after my volume rocker was intermittent, and my Mac mini's optical drive was replaced.

Just one replacement alone has more than paid for all of my Apple Cares. I've got it on every Apple product ever since I had to spend $180 out of pocket to get my iPhone 3G serviced at a third party repair kiosk. The repair fixed my initial problem but a new problem arose from the unauthorized repair; my wifi reception was weaker than it was before, and when I brought it up to the guy running the kiosk, he said that he takes no responsibility for anything outside of services rendered, and though I had my microphone working again, now my wifi range was reduced to less than half the distance it used to be. Had I had Apple care for $69, I would have received a new phone without the hassle.

Siouxzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opted NOT to go for the extra warranty stuff because, as one poster already stated - there is nothing that will save my devices from myself. I did purchase an extended warranty for a laptop (not an apple product) and it was a HUGE waste of $300 as I am now having to pay out of pocket for a repair of the ac adapter site. My iPad is still new and I carry it in my Zagg-mate, solid case so who knows...

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ I know what you're saying, but my experience with Apple Care has been unlike any other type of insurance or extended warranty.

Examples: I had Asurion insurance on a T-Mobile phone that was stolen. It is supposed to cover theft. I paid my $12/month for 14 months (totalling $168), but when I submitted my claim, they denied the phone replacement stating that it was fraud. I had my car window smashed in, had other items, including my jacket, car stereo, amp, subs, etc, taken, damage to my trunk lid, police report, plenty of pictures, and was not the only one in the parking lot that had their car broken into that night, but they wanted to call it fraud. I contested it, but they said that I needed to be able substantiate my loss and provide more evidence. Really?! Like I would do that to my own car for a phone. Asurion is a big waste of money if you ask me, and I will never recommend anyone get it, as they do not hold up to their end when it comes time to take care of you.

Another example is an extended warranty I had through Circuit City, back in '97 on a DVD player. I had to go through so much hassle getting my DVD player finally replaced with one that worked, after having it sent away for over a week, only to get it back "working", but now with a ticking noise upon playback.. took it back, wanted a new one, but had to wait to have it serviced again.. only to get it back fixed, but with scratches on the face and top of the DVD player, that they took no responsibility for.. So I let it go because I didn't want to go through the hassle of waiting another week without a DVD player..

So, because of my experiences with extended warranties and insurance, I stopped buying them on electronics, until I had to deal with fixing an iPhone through an unauthorized kiosk who serviced my phone, only to have created another problem. After Apple Care was suggested to me by a friend who had his iPhone replaced over the counter with a new one, after hearing about my ordeal, I decided that I would get Apple Care on my next Apple purchase.. Which happened to be my Mac mini.. A year and several months later, my optical drive was acting up. I took it into my local Apple Store, and I got a call to pick it up two days later, fixed. I was expecting a week or longer based on my previous experiences with repairs. Two days. I forget what the repair cost was exactly, but with labor and parts, it was more than two hundred something.. My Apple Care already paid for itself, plus I had used the tech support at least 3 times for free, that normally runs 50 bucks a call.

I don't know about anyone else, but my experience with Apple Care has been more than positive. First time my iPad got replaced was because it was taking a charge intermittently. Months later, i got it replaced again because my photo app kept crashing and restarting my iPad when ever I would scroll too quickly. A weird fluke that the Geniuses hadn't seen before, but never-the-less, prompty replaced my iPad with another new one.

This is the type of service that is more than worth the mere $79 Apple Care on an iPad imo. I've seen the square trade ads that appear on this forum, but am reluctant to trust anyone not taking care of me in person anymore. Not after the Asurion and Circuit City experiences. I like being able to get seen by person face to face and getting either a factory replacement part or the entire unit replaced if needed, without having to wait more than a week at a time, or worse.. having to find out that you're not getting taken care of at all! Aside from losing my device or getting it wet, I think that Apple Care is a pretty good deal. I care less about how much an extended warranty usually costs, and more about if they are going to take care of me if there is a problem. So far, Apple Care is the only extended warranty I've had, besides my extended warranty my car, that has definitely been worth the money.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Futurebird said:
I didn't bother. I have SquareTrade. I have never had an Apple product fail... but I have spilled coffee on a few aluminum keyboards. I've also drop a laptop while getting off a train. Apple Care won't cover what I fear most... and what I see as the greatest danger to my iPad... clumsy me!

I don't really need tech support or help. If the hardware fails in the first year I'll raise hell... after that I guess it's on me. But Let me just say I have a Beige Mac SE and it still runs, reads disks and if I could find 56K dial up I could go online...

Yep. I have Worth Ave. Group insurance on my iPad, which I'll put on my iPad 2 when it arrives. I really had a hard time comparing it with SquareTrade but settled on Worth Ave when I found out they also ensure THEFT and TOTAL IMMERSION water damage, among other things. The rates were pretty good, too. Most times if a tech device is going to fail, it'll do it in the first six to eight months. After that, you're pretty much in the clear, for the most part-for a few years.

Mac SE? Wow. I remember that machine, though I've been a PC guy since the 80s. Though I did have a LISA at one time!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never get apple care, I've been waiting for my 2007 black MacBook to go bad so I have an excuse to update but it still works. I update my iPhone every year so I have protection through the year without apple care and I figure i will update my iPad every other year so come iPad 4 I'm sure my iPad 2 will still work just fine.

Geo411m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kayno said:
I never get apple care, I've been waiting for my 2007 black MacBook to go bad so I have an excuse to update but it still works. I update my iPhone every year so I have protection through the year without apple care and I figure i will update my iPad every other year so come iPad 4 I'm sure my iPad 2 will still work just fine.

I think the same way. Say I buy a 13in MacBook pro $1200. A year from now when the new MacBook pros come out I'll sell my last year model MacBook pro at 25% less than what I got it for. Since apple care cost $279 or so, it means I can get a new MacBook every year putting in an extra $20 bucks or so. I work for the board of Ed which means I get a discount which usually offsets tax, so tax isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPad

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Squaretrade. 2 years of drop and damage insurance. $77. Applecare is overpriced and doesn't cover a cracked screen which is my biggest fear. Oh yeah, you get "extended customer service" Whoopie!

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've Apple Care for my MacBook which its paid for itself with need internal parts replaced. But I opted against it on my iPad 2 since I want insurance to cover damages and Apple Care doesn't cover drops and damage. So I purchased Squaretrade for 2 years of coverage, and still have Apple Care for a year included iPad purchase.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kayno said:

I think the same way. Say I buy a 13in MacBook pro $1200. A year from now when the new MacBook pros come out I'll sell my last year model MacBook pro at 25% less than what I got it for. Since apple care cost $279 or so, it means I can get a new MacBook every year putting in an extra $20 bucks or so. I work for the board of Ed which means I get a discount which usually offsets tax, so tax isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPad

Actually Actually Apple Care is $183 on your MacBook Pro 13" for 3 years of coverage, which works out to $61/yr, or about five bucks a month.

Instead of taking a 25% hit on my Mac, I sold my last Mac for only $50 less than I paid for it, because it still had almost two years of warranty left, with tech support.

$1200 - 25% = $300. $20 x 12 months = $240.

Your combined depreciation costs are $540.

My investment in Apple Care + depreciation = $233.

Less than half the loss, plus the peace of mind of extended coverage, plus free tech support beyond the first 90 days, and the option of keeping the Mac for a longer period of time without out of pocket costs to repair or replace.

The monetary math is clearly in favor of having Apple Care. Difference saved is $307. Even if the depreciation were hundreds more, to the point where it were the same costs, you still come out ahead having Apple Care.

Apple Education Store - Find Your School and Shop - Apple Store (U.S.)

Geo411m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
Actually Actually Apple Care is $183 on your MacBook Pro 13" for 3 years of coverage, which works out to $61/yr, or about five bucks a month.

Instead of taking a 25% hit on my Mac, I sold my last Mac for only $50 less than I paid for it, because it still had almost two years of warranty left, with tech support.

$1200 - 25% = $300. $20 x 12 months = $240.

Your combined depreciation costs are $540.

My investment in Apple Care + depreciation = $233.

Less than half the loss, plus the peace of mind of extended coverage, plus free tech support beyond the first 90 days, and the option of keeping the Mac for a longer period of time without out of pocket costs to repair or replace.

The monetary math is clearly in favor of having Apple Care. Difference saved is $307. Even if the depreciation were hundreds more, to the point where it were the same costs, you still come out ahead having Apple Care.

Apple Education Store - Find Your School and Shop - Apple Store (U.S.)

Why would that be my depreciation value? Not sure where you got the $20 a month from? I buy at $1200, sell at $900 and pay $300 for a new one. You buy at $1200 plus $183 plus tax which totals around $1500 and you sell for $1150. My discount basically offsets my taxes so I buy the product at $1200 with taxes, maybe a few dollars more. It seems I spent less than you in the end. Not by much, but still less none the less. What you're doing is making the new buyer pay for the apple care.

Sent from my iPad

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the $20/mo from the second to last sentence in your post that I quoted.

You are correct that I am selling both my Mac and it's Apple Care to the buyer. If I were the buyer, I personally feel more confident in purchasing a preowned computer that still had warranty and tech support. In this case, the buyer is getting double the parts/labor/replacement and 8x the tech support, by having Apple Care attached.

I get peace of mind, and so does the buyer, for no more cost to me or the buyer during their ownership. Seems that both I and the buyer come out ahead this way.

Most reactions

Latest posts