How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Superbike81, Dec 4, 2010.

?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

1. Yes! It will replace my iPad.

22 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

35 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. No! I'll keep my iPad.

119 vote(s)
    52.7%
  4. Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

50 vote(s)
    22.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if I am actually offended by such comments, but I do find them pretty silly. I like my iPad a whole bunch. I am also an engineer. I worked on some pretty technically challenging things in graduate school and I work with / design some very sophisticated machines for a living. I would say I am fairly technically inclined yet the iPad appeals to me just fine. I'm not sure what one thing has to do with the other honestly.

2. bastones

bastones
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure many saw videos of the Motorola Xoom which was demo'ed at CES and was showing videos of different aspects of Android 3.0. I think Android 3.0 is going to be great for tablets - just seeing the Chrome web browser for 3.0 shows you how much they have improved the UI to take advantage of the larger display. I think they should start from scratch with the Android Market for the tablet version of Android because of the fragmentation of the existing Android Market for the phone-variant Android versions.

But so far I think Android 3.0 looks very promising - and if I was looking for a tablet in a few months time, I would definitely consider an Android tablet as long as it has a good amount of tablet specific apps for it as well as a word processor of some kind. I wouldnt be sure about using just Google Docs alone - I've tried using it at one point, and I was converting it back to Word .doc format. When I opened it in Word 2003 several things were set wrong and obviously this was caused by the conversion. Not sure if it has been improved since.

3. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I 150% agree!! I have built computers...I work on high end computers for work. I was in charge of our systems on Piranha and set up our macs to tri-boot Mac, Windows 7 and Linux. I have used Windows, Mac, Linux, IRIX, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile...you name it, I've dealt with it. I work with very complex software for a living...and I own 2 Macs and 2 iPads....and HATE android OS.

I probably know more about computers and computers systems than most of the people that make that absurd statement.

Why is it that just wanting a system that works means you don't know how to use a computer?

4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ouch.:( That would be lots of people. You really think Apple is going for that? I pretty much no nothing about Apple, but I seriously doubt that.

5. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    No, that's what kids that don't use computers to earn a living say. They have to work to get other OS's to work the way they like...so they think it is better for some reason. If it just works right out of the box it must be for dummies.

6. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Again, you guys are getting offended for no reason. Apple made sure the iPad would appeal to everyone, including the lowest common denominator in the tech world. They built it so it could be used by a computer engineer and his grandmother equally well.

Android OS is better for people who care about tinkering and customizing things, iOS is better for people who just want the function and don't care as much about changing things around to suit their needs and/or personality the best.

Either OS can be used by someone who doesn't know anything about computers, it's just Android OS leaves things a little more open to the people who do know their way around a system menu.

#256 Superbike81, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  7. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I'm not offended at all...but I do think that claiming Apple products is for the non tech savvy is just short sited.

I can't stand that I have to fix my Android with every update. I also think iOS devices should have a 3rd party installation option so you don't have to jailbreak. Put liability on the user....don't restrict the possibility to modify...just inform the user it is to their own possibly peril.

8. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Well said. I can't find any argument with that analysis. In my case, I already knew what I was getting with the iPad because I have been an iPod Touch user for quite some time now. I knew the iPad was basically the same thing but bigger and by golly that's what I got (and wanted). At the same time, if I wanted something I could customize and really "make mine" I would also be looking hard at the Android devices.

9. iceman

iceman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry that I offended you. I did not mean to hurt anyones feelings. My point is that Apple targets the less technical. If you are technical and you prefer to use Apple products, great! More power to you! That still doesn't change Apple's market strategy. By the way, I work full time in IT, and have been using computer's since the Apple II.

10. Thphilli

Thphilli
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    There is no ripping of TV shows for android, and you dont have to "put it in the right place". You throw it ANYWHERE on the SD card in ANY format and the phone/tablet does the rest. Use any number of apps to play the files, including in many cases the stock video player.

The iPad doesn't "just work", and you explained how it doesn't in your post. First you have to convert a movie to a compatible format. That isn't just working. Second, you need iTunes to load the movie on your device, and can ONLY load it from the computer you usually sync to or you risk wiping your iPad clean. That isn't "just working".

I find that people point out every little technical flaw with Android while avoiding the MASSIVE shortcomings of iOS, which is kind of annoying. I have both an iPad and an Android phone. Both have their flaws. iOS is for the most part more smooth, even though the main reason for this is that I can tinker with the Android phone more and am currently running a custom build of a beta froyo build which detracts from its performance somewhat. iOS has more apps and better apps, but it lacks choice of anykind. No keyboard changes, no widgets, no customization, no differing lockscreens, etc. Personally, these things annoy me more than the benefits of iOS entertain me. I expect most on this board to feel differently and some to probably embrace this lack of features as something positive.

#260 Thphilli, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.