What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you read an actual paper book?

wheems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the recent news of Borders' impending liquidation, I was wondering how many still pick up a paperback book versus an e-reader? I, for one, don't read on my iPad. Or have purchased a Kindle or Nook. I still enjoy the aesthetics (the smell of old paper and ink, the way it fits in my hand) of an actual paper book and consider it a piece of art.

What about you?

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also prefer the iPad. Hardly ever read on my Kindle, and only pick up a print book if I have to. There are so many more things you can do with a book on the ipad.

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
I actually bought some books at Costco last week to take along with on our vacation later this month.

I also am working on a study for a court case, and ordered and received $100 in books from Amazon last month. I contacted Amazon about getting my books on my kindle or ipad and they told me, if they were available I would have to buy them again.....didn't think that was fair if I paid for the paper books that I would have to pay electronically to get the books on my devices....no wonder Borders went out of business.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wheems said:
With the recent news of Borders' impending liquidation, I was wondering how many still pick up a paperback book versus an e-reader? I, for one, don't read on my iPad. Or have purchased a Kindle or Nook. I still enjoy the aesthetics (the smell of old paper and ink, the way it fits in my hand) of an actual paper book and consider it a piece of art.

What about you?

I am currently reading two books. One is paper (The Oath - Frank Peretti) the other is on iBooks (Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins). I love paper books, but I read too much for them to be practical in all cases.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For me, the story is king. I will deal with any format that has the stories I want. That said, I have very little living space so digital is a boon when it is available.

There is something to be said for an elegant hardback for truly classic titles you want to keep forever. Paperbacks are good enough to read, but they are not worth keeping for their own sake.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wheems said:

Both. We have close to 25 shelf-meters of bookshelves in the house, so it's safe to say that we love reading. I also love pulped-tree books because they can be signed and/or rare editions that make them collectible.

But ebooks allows us to bring along a great selection of books (and musical scores for me) when travelling e.g. on vacation; and we also borrow stacks of books from the library on weekends, esp books to read but don't intend to keep. I don't see that one format is necessarily better or worse than the other, as both have their uses.

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still enjoy the aesthetics (the smell of old paper and ink, the way it fits in my hand) of an actual paper book and consider it a piece of art.

I used to be the same way and thought I would never go to ebooks, but since I started reading on my iPad, I prefer the iPad.

Goober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad, a Nook and countless paper books. I work with software and technology all day so in times when I want to unplug I'll reach for one of my trusty dusty paper books. I find this happening fewer and far between lately with the iPad. I haven't touched my Nook since I purchased the iPad.

I will still read some of my holiday favorites that are on paper when the time comes. It's hard to beat sitting in front of a crackling fire with a good paper book.

Fun question. Thanks!

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends.

Leisure reading, I actually do enjoy the screen. I find my Kobo is easier on the eyes, and FAR lighter - I only hold it with two fingers. That said, I don't bring it with me, so if I want to read a quick chapter of my book, I'll just break out the iPad and thumb through it. It's good for a novel I want to barrel through.

The Kobo app is great in that it syncs my account between my Blackberry, iPad and ereader, so it keeps me on the same chapter all the time, with one copy of the ebook!

If I'm doing work for school, or instructional work I prefer paper. For studies it's good to be able to write in the margins, underline things, and take notes. I've tried annotating PDFs and it's just not good enough, for my money. For learning a craft or reading a non-fiction book on, say, procrastination (Piers Steel's "Procrastination Equation") I find e-books unsatisfying. You can't do the little self help quizzes, the charts and tables are clumsy. If I want to look at a footnote or end note, there's no easy way to flip from page 30 to page 602, and then immediately back to 30.

Also, depending on the book, many publishers simply have a hard copy scanned straight into the computer, and have it rendered as an epub file. The result is occasional hiccups where the machine guessed the wrong word from the font, and you have these sydlexdic hiccups while reading along. I've seen it everything from self help books, to Star Trek fiction, to Sherlock Holmes. It's a pretty consistent gripe of mine!

And yes, sometimes I enjoy the musty smell and the tactile sensation of old books. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still buy paper books from time to time, though much fewer than before I started reading e-books. I have two homes and my print books live in only one of them. I love the portability of e-books.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm converted to the ebook ,don't think I could go back now.
The only exception is my cook book collection.Love the glossy pages And I visit over and over.
It's hard to leave your iPad on the coffee table open 

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the traveling thing.
It's a suitcase with 20 kilos per person (of books) versus the iPad????iPad wins hands down.

Most reactions

Latest posts