How many of you read an actual paper book?

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by wheems, Jul 18, 2011.

1. wheems

wheems
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    With the recent news of Borders' impending liquidation, I was wondering how many still pick up a paperback book versus an e-reader? I, for one, don't read on my iPad. Or have purchased a Kindle or Nook. I still enjoy the aesthetics (the smell of old paper and ink, the way it fits in my hand) of an actual paper book and consider it a piece of art.

What about you?

2. jmbarker

jmbarker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I prefer reading on my iPad.

3. emm

emm
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I also prefer the iPad. Hardly ever read on my Kindle, and only pick up a print book if I have to. There are so many more things you can do with a book on the ipad.

4. Dee Ashley

Dee Ashley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I actually bought some books at Costco last week to take along with on our vacation later this month.

I also am working on a study for a court case, and ordered and received $100 in books from Amazon last month. I contacted Amazon about getting my books on my kindle or ipad and they told me, if they were available I would have to buy them again.....didn't think that was fair if I paid for the paper books that I would have to pay electronically to get the books on my devices....no wonder Borders went out of business.

5. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently reading two books. One is paper (The Oath - Frank Peretti) the other is on iBooks (Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins). I love paper books, but I read too much for them to be practical in all cases.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    For me, the story is king. I will deal with any format that has the stories I want. That said, I have very little living space so digital is a boon when it is available.

There is something to be said for an elegant hardback for truly classic titles you want to keep forever. Paperbacks are good enough to read, but they are not worth keeping for their own sake.

7. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I search and buy on iPad and enjoy reading books.

8. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Both. We have close to 25 shelf-meters of bookshelves in the house, so it's safe to say that we love reading. I also love pulped-tree books because they can be signed and/or rare editions that make them collectible.

But ebooks allows us to bring along a great selection of books (and musical scores for me) when travelling e.g. on vacation; and we also borrow stacks of books from the library on weekends, esp books to read but don't intend to keep. I don't see that one format is necessarily better or worse than the other, as both have their uses.

9. Marabou Muddler

Marabou Muddler
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I used to be the same way and thought I would never go to ebooks, but since I started reading on my iPad, I prefer the iPad.

10. Goober

Goober
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad, a Nook and countless paper books. I work with software and technology all day so in times when I want to unplug I'll reach for one of my trusty dusty paper books. I find this happening fewer and far between lately with the iPad. I haven't touched my Nook since I purchased the iPad.

I will still read some of my holiday favorites that are on paper when the time comes. It's hard to beat sitting in front of a crackling fire with a good paper book.

Fun question. Thanks!