What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many books can be held in a 32gb iPad?

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was curious does anyone know approximately how many books can be held in a 32gb iPad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let's see,

The largest book in my collection is 21.8MB. I'll round it down to 20 and use it as the average. That should make this a gross under estimate. That won't matter much.

Only about 29GB is available for apps and files after iOS gets done.

That would be 29 / .020 = 1450 books.

Unless your proposed collection is composed of art or other photo intensive books this should be a very conservative estimate. The rough median (looking at the middle of the list) sized book in my collection is under 3 MB. That would be well over 9000 books.

Last edited:
OP
iPadOhana

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you so much. Way more space for books than I need but wanted to find out. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The great thing about electronic publications is that you do not need to keep your entire library on your iPad! With Amazon, for instance, all of your purchases are kept in your archive at Amazon. The only thing you actually need to have on your iPad at any given time is/are the book(s) you are reading at the moment.

When you are done with a book, you can delete it off your iPad to free up space, but should you ever want to read it again, all you have to do is download it from your archive. There is no charge for this and you can do it as many times as you like.

For other "stuff", you can also use cloud storage on a place like DropBox. As long as you have Internet access, you have access to your reading material.

Clear as mud, eh?

OP
iPadOhana

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is 'dropbox' and 'the cloud'? Sorry for the newbie question.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox is place where you can store files. In the "olden days" of computers, you would keep your files (music, books, documents, etc.) on your computer. This was fine as long as you were actually sitting at your computer. But what if you travel or are in business where you need to have access to your files no matter where you are and no matter what computer you were using? These services like DropBox (there are several, but this is one of the more popular ones) allow you to store your "stuff" on their computer and when you need access to it, all you need is to be able to get on the Internet. In other words, your "stuff" is stored somewhere else besides on your PC.

I know it sounds confusing, but there are more details on their website -- https://www.dropbox.com/. The basic service is free, but if you need a lot of space, there is a charge for this.

Clear as mud, eh?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I like DropBox for other things, but as far as I know none of the book apps have direct support for it, or any other cloud service. Well, other than Amazon's archive and and Barnes and Noble's similar service. So, no third party cloud services would be more accurate.

PDF files are a different matter, of course. GoodReader and a slew of other file management apps will read PDF books and can access DropBox and/or other webDAV services. Though, PDF is my least favorite book format, I do have a few.

Other than the cloud, you can store you books in iTunes up to the limit of your computer's hard drive. You don't have to sync them all to the iPad. Unfortunately once you stop syncing all books it becomes cumbersome for a large library. You have to individually select the books to sync.

OP
iPadOhana

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanations...I haven't downloaded a bunch yet, but want to be prepared in case I do...LOL

OP
iPadOhana

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was curious does anyone know approximately how many books can be held in a 32gb iPad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know how old you are but for me that would represent more than I'd be able to read for the rest of my life...;)

LOL. Not that old (well not that young either ;-) but just checking to make sure I have enough space.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
I don't know how old you are but for me that would represent more than I'd be able to read for the rest of my life...;)

I'm 40 and I've easily read that many books. I've read 2 to 3 books a week for years.

OP
iPadOhana

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:

I'm 40 and I've easily read that many books. I've read 2 to 3 books a week for years.

So thekarens...how do you use the iPad for reading? What suggestions do you have...I'm a book a week type of guy...Thus, the cost of the Kindle downloads are getting pretty steep...LOL

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thus, the cost of the Kindle downloads are getting pretty steep...LOL

Well, for me, cost is a non-issue because I live just across the road from a library, and they allow up to 20 books to be checked out simultaneously. (I don't thiink I've ever reached that high.) :D

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:

So thekarens...how do you use the iPad for reading? What suggestions do you have...I'm a book a week type of guy...Thus, the cost of the Kindle downloads are getting pretty steep...LOL

OK, I CAN read, but I am feeling a little intimidated because it takes me a month to read a book. I'm not an idiot or anything, but finding the time to sit down for more than 15 minutes seems to be my problem. My hat is off to all you folks that read this much, it is something to be admired!

Most reactions