What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long should a ipad last

Reaction score
Quick question. I have an iPad3 64GB running iOS 6.1
Where can I find out about battery health? I mean, like on the macbook pro when you go to System information it shows the cycles and charge holding capacity. Is similar information displayed anywhere on the iPad?
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question. I have an iPad3 64GB running iOS 6.1
Where can I find out about battery health? I mean, like on the macbook pro when you go to System information it shows the cycles and charge holding capacity. Is similar information displayed anywhere on the iPad?
Thanks

There's nothing on the iPad itself. However, if you get the free program (for PC or Mac) called iBackupBot, you can access the iPad's system to get more information such as battery info. And - you don't have to be jail broken to do so...

Again and however, nothing on the iPad itself.

Marilyn

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We'll I got my iPad 4 in 2012 Christmas and it's very rare that I have issues with this thing. Maybe 2 scratches at the most. I have the 32gb I'm 16. I just recently started using everyday due to the face I like using my iPad more then the crappy hp that the school makes us use. Typing is kinda hRd on the iPad.but I will get use to it soon. I'm definitely getting my money's worth I hope to go to a iPad air or mini in the next year or 2.... Battery is amazing

If you are using your iPad at home to research homework , I would suggest getting a Bluetooth keyboard if your iPad is Bluetooth capable. Good luck, study hard. You only have one chance to complete high school; the foundation of higher learning.

Reaction score
There's nothing on the iPad itself. However, if you get the free program (for PC or Mac) called iBackupBot, you can access the iPad's system to get more information such as battery info. And - you don't have to be jail broken to do so...

Again and however, nothing on the iPad itself.

Marilyn

Thanks for the advice Marilyn

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have got my iPad 2 sept 2011, still doing great. Using iOS 7.0.4 and am very happy about it, because I was afraid that iOS 7 might slow down my iPad .
At first when I bought it, I didn't have wifi at home so worked less with it and since 2012 using it each day for a couple of hours esp. Reading papers

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This Air is my first iPad.

However, I'm an Apple person....all of my Personal Tech is Apple, and all is going strong just like when new!

Desktop - August 2007 iMac
Laptop - July 2009 17" MacBook Pro
IPhone 4
Apple TV 2
IPod Nano 6th gen (wristwatch model)
IPad Air 32gb WiFi

No longer have:

IPod Shuffle
IPod Nano 5th gen (skinny video model)
Original iPhone
13" MacBook

The only problem I've ever had was losing the original 320gb drive in my iMac at the 5 year mark. Easy replacement with 2 Tb drive and online Lion restore from Time Machine was like it never happened. I anticipate the iPad will last as long as I care to use it.

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 2 will be three in August, well actually, I had a replacement back in 2012 but not sure if it was replaced with a refurbished model or not. I'd say they last a pretty long time with proper care.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 2 I can see will probably still be a device talked about/used for possibly another 3+ years at least unless something extremely radical changes are brought to the table to say otherwise. A dual core processor goes a long way even if it only has 512 RAM. Sure it may not run as fast as the newest and best, but it's functional and still runs perfectly fine as it does now. The one thing that makes an Apple product an Apple product is that you'll expect your device to last and maintain its value over several years (if not longer). I would say the average lifespan of any iPad generation (at the moment) to be something like 7 years if used with care and assuming the battery can hold a charge for that long (if it's not replaced with a new battery somewhere down the line).

Example to support would be the 3GS. Released in 2008, terminated (in terms of iOS support) in late 2013 with the release of iOS 7. 5 years turning 6 in a few months, and it's still a relevant device and iOS combination. Sure you can't run iOS 7 required features, but apps had an iOS 6 version, and the AppStore allows for use of older apps for legacy devices, so you can still use the older 3GS. iPads being more durable, can still be used to surf the web, read the papers or a book, or have some fun time playing some games to relax even after being terminated from the iOS update list, like the iPad 1.

How long it should last, and how long it will last can be two separate or totally different numbers, but how long you want it to last may be the better end of the question.

ninamthorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem I can forsee is battery otherwise, if you use it well. It can last as long as you handle it with care.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have had an Ipad one since the first week it came out. Its battery is slowing considerably but I use it to stream radio and music to Apple TV or a bluetooth speaker--so basically my 'radio'--I have to charge it often or keep it on power but otherwise it works fine. I bought an Air when it came out and replaced my ipad Three which went to my husband who had an IPad One since 3 or 4 months after it came out. That one also still in good condition but, of course, can't have firmware upgraded past IOS 5 so it needed upgraded to be useful for him. The Three is like new and he's a happy camper.

So, I would say that they will work fine unless they suffer a catastrophic disaster or the battery gives out--and we use ours quite a lot so even though the batteries are finite they are still usable for the very first Ipads. The biggest reason to replace is when they will no longer suit your purposes. I "push" my ipad with a lot of apps, creation, etc plus I wanted light/thinner, more storage, faster processor. The Air suits my purposes and i expect I will keep it several years and my husband will use the ipad Three for several years. When or if there are firmware upgrades that either won't be capable of AND we feel we need the attributes of those new firmwares, we'll consider upgrading either or both of the ipads. With fairly minimal care they seem to have quite long lives, electronically speaking.

I'm a long, long LONG time Windows user but even though I haven't switched to Apple for PC I love and use my iPad for the majority of my computing needs now. It does take some investigation of and coordination of apps but being mobile, being able to access many of my files via Dropbox--just a terrific tool.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have had an Ipad one since the first week it came out. Its battery is slowing considerably but I use it to stream radio and music to Apple TV or a bluetooth speaker--so basically my 'radio'--I have to charge it often or keep it on power but otherwise it works fine. I bought an Air when it came out and replaced my ipad Three which went to my husband who had an IPad One since 3 or 4 months after it came out. That one also still in good condition but, of course, can't have firmware upgraded past IOS 5 so it needed upgraded to be useful for him. The Three is like new and he's a happy camper. So, I would say that they will work fine unless they suffer a catastrophic disaster or the battery gives out--and we use ours quite a lot so even though the batteries are finite they are still usable for the very first Ipads. The biggest reason to replace is when they will no longer suit your purposes. I "push" my ipad with a lot of apps, creation, etc plus I wanted light/thinner, more storage, faster processor. The Air suits my purposes and i expect I will keep it several years and my husband will use the ipad Three for several years. When or if there are firmware upgrades that either won't be capable of AND we feel we need the attributes of those new firmwares, we'll consider upgrading either or both of the ipads. With fairly minimal care they seem to have quite long lives, electronically speaking. I'm a long, long LONG time Windows user but even though I haven't switched to Apple for PC I love and use my iPad for the majority of my computing needs now. It does take some investigation of and coordination of apps but being mobile, being able to access many of my files via Dropbox--just a terrific tool.

Don't forget too that the batteries are replaceable by apple for about a hundred bucks. For most devices, this is worthwhile since the battery is usually the only problem!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget too that the batteries are replaceable by apple for about a hundred bucks. For most devices, this is worthwhile since the battery is usually the only problem!

Good point, but with the One it is unable to be upgraded for firmware past IOS 5 so many apps either don't work well because they can't be upgraded or some apps need at least IOS 6. If IOS 5 still works OK for your needs, like reading, music (you can't access itunes Radio for instance) then it may very well be worth replacing the battery because the hardware seems to remain in great shape. it might also be worthwhile in order to pass to a child or someone that just wants to use for browsing or reading.

Merthod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The actual number of charges are relative. However be sure to charge your ipad when battery is very low. If your iPad behaves strangely like slowing down and even turning off by itself it could be due of some application that miscofigure something upon deletion. Most of this kind of issues are treatable with just a reset. However all apps and info would be lost.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good point, but with the One it is unable to be upgraded for firmware past IOS 5 so many apps either don't work well because they can't be upgraded or some apps need at least IOS 6. If IOS 5 still works OK for your needs, like reading, music (you can't access itunes Radio for instance) then it may very well be worth replacing the battery because the hardware seems to remain in great shape. it might also be worthwhile in order to pass to a child or someone that just wants to use for browsing or reading.

Yeah, that's right. Forgot the first gen device is stuck with older iOS version. For any other iPad generation though, a battery swap may well be worth it.

Most reactions

Latest posts