What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does "Restore from backup" take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to my iPad today, but it popped up the "connect to iTunes" screen and wouldn't budge from that.

(Then a tornado went through, the power went out and only recently has it been back on.)

So I connect to iTunes, and it says it needs to be restored, it downloads and reinstalls firmware, software and who knows what-all, then asks if I want to restore from my last (embarrassingly long ago) back up. I said yes, and it has been cranking away for what seems like forever.

What concerns me is that the estimated time remaining keeps going up. It said 22 minutes when I started typing this, and I just checked and not it says 25.

It has been going for over and hour.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends on how much stuff was on the iPad. Give it another hour, and if there is no progress see if it will let you cancel the restore. Make sure your laptop doesn't try and sleep during the operation.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to my iPad today, but it popped up the "connect to iTunes" screen and wouldn't budge from that.

(Then a tornado went through, the power went out and only recently has it been back on.)

So I connect to iTunes, and it says it needs to be restored, it downloads and reinstalls firmware, software and who knows what-all, then asks if I want to restore from my last (embarrassingly long ago) back up. I said yes, and it has been cranking away for what seems like forever.

What concerns me is that the estimated time remaining keeps going up. It said 22 minutes when I started typing this, and I just checked and not it says 25.

It has been going for over and hour.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Yes, that's normal, given my experience. I go take a long nap or otherwise distract myself so that I don't get iPad withdrawal symptoms while I wait. At least that's what I did till I got a second iPad. (Maybe it's part of Apple's evil scheme to sell more iPads to addicts.)

OP
K

kcr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's still going, and now it is up to 2 hours remaining.

It won't let me do anything at all--just makes a little bell sound at me if I try (and, I think, adds another five minutes as punishment:rolleyes:)

I was reading the old thread from November when the 4.2 update came out, and it took some people 16 hours. Could it juts be that this is how long it takes? I can't remember how much stuff there was on it--I was pretty promiscuous about installing apps way back in the beginning, though, and even though I deleted them from the iPad, they are still in iTunes. I wonder if that is at it is?

Getting pretty sleepy here. Think it is okay to leave it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Leave it. It will work or it won't. If it does not then you're not any worse off in the morning than you are now.

Don't worry about it too much. You can recover from this even if you are forced to just unplug it. It might be a bit more of a pain to restore your stuff, but it will all work out.

OP
K

kcr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like you, Twerppoet:)

And you are absolutely right--even if it doesn't work, it will be the same in the morning and I will have had a good night' sleep and be better able to handle it.

Good night.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, it's a lot easier to be casual about other peoples stuff, but I'd at least try to follow my own advice in this case. ;)

Have a pleasant night.

OP
K

kcr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I got about six hours of sleep--even got up twice to check and see of there was any progress--and this morning it said five hours remaining with no visible progress of its having done a single thing overnight. (The HDD light on the laptop was just intermittently flashing ever so slightly--not blinking rapidly like it does when it is actually writing something to disk).

So I bit the bullet and rebooted the computer. As it was shutting down, it did unmount the iPad, so I removed it and inspected it.

It had the latest iOS and ran just fine--like a fresh new iPad.

I fooled around while I was waking up enough to plug him in again made sure the battery was fully charged, and when I did connected to iTunes he immediately began syncing--about halfway through the music right now--so it appears it will be fine, now. So it will have taken ~16 hours, but not all of that was productive.

I wish I knew what I did to upset him so badly, so I will never do it again, but now that he has had a lobotomy I don't guess he will tell me:eek:. Maybe he just really wanted the update?

Many thanks, Twerppoet! I would still be staring at the screen, sleepless and frustrated, and terrified to touch the thing for fear that gravity would reverse itself and we would all go flying into space if I did. (I get like that without sleep:rolleyes:)

I'll look for a thanks button or something on your posts.

zugre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the secret for this sitoation... When itunes start to restore a backup and minutes are going up to several hours... this is not working (red lamb on my pc didnt working so there is no working operation)...

here is solution: Move mouse pointer to itunes ''restoring backup to iphone/ipod touch" field(window) and click on it.You can see that the red ligh will lights and there will be operation... when u move away again pointer, red light will again of... so it is solution for this.(click and hold 10-15 sec. then go away with pointer-and u can see the loading progress who is working and minutes will going down. I thing this will your solution :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

However, given that this is a two-year old thread (and the OP has moved on), we'll close it now. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts