What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take to charge ipad4?

Jackx47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason my battery drains fast.....I make sure my apps are closed and don't have any open but still my battery drains fast.....any suggestions on what I can do to make my battery last longer?

Shadow Catcher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I notice is that it does not seem to charge when on or uses more power than tha charger supplies?

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shadow Catcher said:
One thing I notice is that it does not seem to charge when on or uses more power than tha charger supplies?

Are you sure you're using the IPad charger end that came in the box with you're iPad? It will only trickle charge using a computer. I don't do it on my iPad 4 but I'm positive my girlfriend uses her iPad 3 while charging and it does take the charge, albeit slower than usual of course.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always wonder if charging the iPad more after it is filled is harmful? I remember reading once a repairman (who repairs iPhones and iPads in California) saying it does. In fact having a iPod or iPad always mounted on a dock wasn't a good idea for that reason. Still, if you ever felt the plug after it is fully charged, it is cool (as opposed to very warm while charging) leading me to believe no more power going to the battery. I always figure my iPod 4 charges about 15% a hour.

G'day cyndy, no need for concern. What buerkletucson quoting the iPad executive above quite correctly said, you can't overcharge or harm your iPad in any way by leaving your iPad on the dock for whatever time.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doctor Hades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad 4 last week, actually my first Apple product, and I love it. Basically except for work, I haven't been off the thing!

I initally charged my iPad using the supplied Lightning cable that came with it but I found it too short when stood in a stand on my desk and plugged into the mains so I ordered a 2 metre one from Amazon. This turned out not to be ideal as the iPad would drain when connected to the mains and while I was using it, albeit slower than the normal battery drain when off the mains. This does not happen with the official 1 metre lead. This lead would also only charge my iPad 4 to 80%, at which point it complained that the accessory was not compatible (which is weird when it managed to get to 80%).

Anyway, I managed to find another 2 metre lead that was listed as being compatible with the iPad 4 and this one works fine, as well as the original lead from the three days I have been using it, recharging my iPad in around five hours, although I always do it overnight so it might well be longer. It will also recharge while it use and connected to the mains with this lead too, although how quickly is dependent on the screen brightness. As long as it is 50% or less then it'll recharge while in use but I typically have my screen on 33% brightness anyway otherwise I find it too bright. I seem to be able to get 10 hours of my iPad between recharges, although I've mostly been downloading stuff, browsing the internet and reading digital magazines not gaming.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyways, I managed to find another 2 metre lead that was listed as being compatible with the iPad 4

I'm a bit puzzled what the problem might be. Get a long enough extension cord and you could recharge your iPad from a power point in the room next door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jackx47 said:
Does anyone here like having the screen set to bright all the way? I do I love it having it set on bright all the way!

I am still using iPad 1. But, I do like mine on full brightness. I am going to purchase me a iPad 3 or 4.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
I am still using iPad 1. But, I do like mine on full brightness. I am going to purchase me a iPad 3 or 4.

Good luck finding the IPad 3, they are discontinued. I would definitely get the Ipad 4

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kingjust35 said:
Good luck finding the IPad 3, they are discontinued. I would definitely get the Ipad 4

Apple sells refurbished iPad 3's in its stores and it's online store. They're cheaper than they were when new and carry a full one year warranty. They take just as long to charge as the iPad 4, about 5 or 6 hours.

Last edited:

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kingjust35 said:

Plenty on eBay.

Most reactions