How long does an iPad take to charge?

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by _Agility_, Dec 29, 2013.

1. _Agility_

_Agility_ iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was given a used iPad for Chrisrmas. The battery gauge read 100%.
    It was accompanied by a cable (USB) and an adapter for the power outlet both wrapped up as if completely new.
    When I plugged the cable into my iPad and the USB port of a computer the battery gauge continued to fall, as described in the (online) manual. I then connected it to a socket of my UPS for six hours and the charge went from 49 to 50%, lastly I connected it to a normal socket for 48 hours and now it reads 97%.
    How do I identify an original power cable and adapter?
    How does the iPad indicate charging status? The battery symbol does not change on my iPad when plugged in.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +852 / 0
    Hello and welcome to the forum - I'll just get you started because some of the description given is confusing and contradictory. You need to first tell us which iPad you own - see the attached table (of current models) - just for a start, the iPad 2 has the longer 30-pin dock adapter while the others have the lightning adapter; the iPad Minis are much smaller (see & compare the dimensions); and finally the newest iPad Air is thinner than the iPad 2 - also, is this a new or used iPad and if the latter, do you know about any damage to the device?

What iOS is on the iPad - go into Settings > General > About and look @ the version; current one is 7.0.4.

As to the charger, there should be an indication as the the power output (this is in Watts which is Amps x Voltage) - the older iPads used a 10 W charger (5 V x 2 A) and newer ones slightly more amperage - tell us what your charger states? Finally, don't try to charge an iPad via a USB port of a computer, these are underpowered except for some of the newer 3.x standards. Let me stop there so you can answer the questions posed before proceeding - Dave

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 5.26.24 PM.png
  3. polymorphism40

polymorphism40 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard, and I don't know if it's true or not, but if you set your iPad to airplane mode it charges a little bit faster. Can anyone confirm this?
  4. JasmineCharlotte

JasmineCharlotte iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    It does :) as your phone is completely inactive. Its not the best solution for those who needs there phones or ipads on constantly.
  5. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +852 / 0
    Please don't confuse the issue here - Airplane Mode will simply turn off your radios - yes will save a little charging but not that important to the OP's original question; and as to a phone - confused, i.e. an iPad has no phone. Let's get back to the OP and see how he/she responds. Dave :)

P.S. seems that the emoticons have been fixed - happy now! :D
  6. omit

omit iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, If you are charging it with a computer

A computer doesn't provide much charge, so it's going to take quite a while. You will must plugin the charge with switchboard only,then it will take less time than computer
  7. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232 / 0
    Computers do not provide enough power to keep the rig functional as well as charging an iPad. If you were to be able to charge an iPad on a computer, it'll take a full day to charge to charge the iPad to 100%, then an extra bit of overcharge to completely seal off the battery's "reservoir" at the end.