What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do you wait before buying a new iPad

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've actually only owned 1 iPad in my life, but I'm looking to buy a new one, and I was curious how long most of you have waited between iPads.

cereal killer

Administrator
Reaction score
Until I feel compelled to buy the next iteration :) If the next iPad is only an incremental upgrade I'll keep my existing one. I'm looking for a cool redesign by the way :)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Your question is a hard one because the technology matured so quickly. The last few iPads are so good that they really don't need replacing. They do everything that a person needs and handle the tasks with aplomb.

For some folks, it really will take some crazy and ground-breaking new tech to shake things up.... maybe an iPad with a completely transparent display and no backing... or perhaps a few years from now we might finally see an iPad with holographic projections.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought an iPad 3 shortly after it was released, that was my first iPad and still my only. I have been playing a game that can get processor intensive and the iPad 3 just can't cut it on high graphics settings, and I've heard people say they play with all settings on high and no lag on iPad Air 2. Also, the iPad Air is so much thinner and lighter compared to the clunky pre-air design. Fingerprint reader is a huge benefit too, as I've grown accustomed to it on my iPhone. I might be upgrading after iPad Air 3 is released (hopefully at that upcoming event).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I get a new one whenever my desires and budget are in agreement. Because, honestly, it's not a necessary device, just one I really like. That said, last year was the first time I passed on a new iPad purchase. Partly because the improvements were not use significant (until iOS 9 was announced), but mostly because I wanted an iPhone 6 Plus more, and the budget would only support one new toy. (well two, but the new bicycle is at least partly necessity, and a health investment).

I'm going to try real hard to squeeze a new iPad in this year. I want full use of the new iOS 9 multi-task features badly. We'll see if the budget will allow. It may have to wait a few extra months until Spring.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Afraid the keyboard, the default to Safari only and no GPS on the WIFI only model (Dumb me thought they all had GPS) I'll probably jump ship. Those three things irritate the hell out of me. However I keep things until they are close to dying so it will probably be awhile.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Afraid the keyboard, the default to Safari only and no GPS on the WIFI only model (Dumb me thought they all had GPS) I'll probably jump ship. Those three things irritate the hell out of me. However I keep things until they are close to dying so it will probably be awhile.
Yes, iOS does default to Safari. However, you can install another browser, there are some such as Dolphin that recognize URL's in the clipboard, and open a copied URL from there. Just copy a URL from within Safari and open it in another browser. I know it's a few extra steps, but just wanted to show that it is doable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went four years.. My first iPad was the original iPad 1 and I upgraded to the iPad Air 1.

The only reason I did so was because a lot of apps no longer work on the iPad 1. (Many require iOS7 or later). The original iPad is stuck at iOS5 and can't go further because of hardware and memory limitations.

If this weren't the case, I'd probably still be using the iPad 1 :) :)

Most reactions

Latest posts