What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do ipads usually last when in good care and condition?

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I have been wondering a question now for a long time. How long can an iPad last when it is good care and condition? I wish to have my iPad as long as I live because it is a pleasure for me to have! But I am not sure how long they last. Do any of you guys know how long an iPad can last?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you take good care of it, there is no reason for it to deteriorate, but over time the battery will need replacing since they do not last forever.

Also, there will be future advances in computer technology which will make your iPad less useful. As new models are released you will probably find that you want to try to keep up with new technology.

Best advice is don't drop it or sit on it, keep it in a protective case when possible and keep your friends away from it. That way, it should last a long time.

fgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion I think iPad can last at least 5 years. After that period I think that the device is ok but it is very old for the applications. I have iPhone 3GS 16 GB for more than 3 years and I believe it is time to be replaced by iPhone 5. The memory is the first disadvantage and the second one is the battery. I also have an iPad 2 wifi+3G 32GB for over one year so far so good. So, honestly, I think that i-devices should be replaced not before 5 years. Think of paying for those 1/5 of the full price every year. For example my iPhone costed 640€ and for 5 years I have to pay 128€ per year. Not bad for iPhone. The same is for iPad. 740€ for 5 years or 148€ per year. Fair enough for me!!!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No real way to tell at this point, because they've been around only about two years.

Even when your model year iPad stops getting firmware upgrades and your apps might stop working (depending on which apps you use and whether they need developer support, and how long the developers support your apps), people who are tech savvy and willing could jailbreak and extend the functionality of their iPads, vs. those who aren't inclined or who aren't tech savvy.

But unless you plan a short life, I'd say that expecting an iPad to function as long as you live, even with care, is unrealistic. That's unless you mean you'd be happy having it even as a barely functioning or nonfunctioning gadget till you die.

As for me, I've more than gotten my money's worth from my iPads, and I paid top dollar since both are 3G 64GBs. I use them so much, they'd average out to count among my best purchases.

Most reactions

Latest posts