How Long Do I Have?

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by HenryWalsh, Mar 16, 2013.

1. HenryWalsh

HenryWalsh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So...

My iPad 1 has been a constant companion. Sadly, I am one of the rare "poor" Apple customers. I know Apple is the, as they say, "Money Company" though and already I am losing access to the apps that I use (RIP DailyMotion) and it is only a matter of time before I lose "Art Studio" and that makes me sad. My iPad was a prize that I won for winning a small essay writing contest a few years ago, just before the iPad 2 came out.

I can't afford to upgrade to a new iPad though.

Part of me is a little upset, but I also understand that Apple can't keep updating old products.

Anyone know the ballpark though I have before my iPad becomes naught but a wifi web browser? Some told me that I might get some additional use out of it if I "Jailbreak" it but I am pretty sure that within the year I'll be forced to consider my pad a paperweight... Anyone got a rough estimate (based on precedent of course) before i probably have to be ready to shelve it?
  2. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    I'm not sure but your post makes me wonder about my ipad2,i now wonder when i will need to update.
  3. y2kgtp

y2kgtp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I would say the iPad 2 is still good for a bit, as has the same hardware as the mini, as well as the current iOS available.
  4. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +603 / 0
    If you're on a budget - treat it like a good car and drive it into the ground.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  5. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    yes i thought a similar thing myself,my ipad2 does all i want from an ipad so while ever it works I'll just keep using it,I'm not on a budget but i can't see any point in changing it.
  6. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,156 / 1
    Go for the 128GB iPad Ivy..we know you want it!! ;)
  7. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +603 / 0
    When it's time to switch I know I'll want a gig pig. Hopefully the Mini will be available in a 128 format by then.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  8. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    then i would be driving myself mad trying to fill it lol.
  9. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,156 / 1
    Now twice I have heard that word..Pig!

Yes...the new mini should have the 128 GB!

No problem with all that music you listen to!
  10. HenryWalsh

HenryWalsh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fine info for the iPad 2 ears but... Still trying to figure out why to do about my 1...
  11. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    We can't tell you that, but you might try asking the developers of key apps that you care about how long they'll keep supporting older versions of the apps. That will determine how long your iPad will serve your uses. Since iPad 1's firmware is limited to iOS 5.1.1, developer support of apps that are compatible up to that level is key for continued iPad 1 functionality.
  12. XDRoX

XDRoX iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Is it possible to earn enough money to get a new one?
  13. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    Yeah save up for one.
  14. HenryWalsh

HenryWalsh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish I could but I unfortunately don't make enough to drop $400-$600 on a new tablet. Even saving up I have too many other obligations to accomplish this. It really stinks about the iOS 6 thing. I understand it, but can't help feeling a bit bitter. My pad has been a lifesaver on hospital stays and losing most of what I use it for is going to sting.

Probably going to look into an android tablet, they are crappy (or so I have heard) but much less expensive.
  15. y2kgtp

y2kgtp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well the Mini's start at $329 + tax, and they are starting to trickle into the Apple store refurb area, at $30-40 less depending on the model.

Android's are indeed cheaper, but to me they just look like a big phone, not a tablet.

Phil does some nice comparisons against the Google Nexus 7 at the 50min mark

Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event October 2012
  16. HenryWalsh

HenryWalsh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll take a look. This is just frustrating. Granted, I can't complain about how much I paid for my Pad as it was a contest prize, but it is pretty much abandoned by apple less than 4 years in. Granted, technology moves fast but... I expected at least 6 years before a platform is cast aside. I can probably still sell my pad for $50-$100 (if I am lucky.) But even if I could come up with $300 over that I don't feel like I can trust Apple to support an older pad, like an iPad 2 which is the cheapest of the bunch, for long enough to make buying anything but their most expensive tablet feasible and even then I don't know how long it will be viable.

To be honest I feel betrayed.

That may seem harsh or unreasonable but it seems too short a time frame to out mod something do darned expensive.

On the other hand it is Apple. They have always been the wealthy person's computer company. Slick looking and very streamlined but Apple has always been VERY expensive.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  17. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    The iPad 2 is not only still supported, it is still manufactured and sold. The original iPad, it should not be forgotten, it the tablet that no-one wanted, that was never going to sell. Considering the whining at the time of release, I think it has done pretty well. 4 years is a long time in IT.
  18. alicepattinson

alicepattinson iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
  19. y2kgtp

y2kgtp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I hear your argument. Having a device that is locked in at iOS 5.1.1 stings, as more and more apps come out requiring iOS 6.

I have a 1st generation 16GB iPod touch, that is locked down to 3.1.3, sits in a drawer mostly, as could use a replacement battery. However it still makes a good iPod for music.

I am seriously looking at the Mini, regardless that it is really just iPad 2 hardware....same hardware that is in my iPhone 4s really. Screen looks much better than the 1st gen iPad from what I have seen in person as well. My main concern at this point is what effect iOS 7 will have on it when it gets installed. When the iPad first came out on iOS 4 it ran very well, then iOS 5 came along and that was the killer in my opinion.

Apple designs the latest iOS to support the latest devices, with the older models as a afterthought. Of course they want your older device sluggish, then you are wanting a newer device to run all your apps on you already paid for....
  20. HenryWalsh

HenryWalsh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dunno. I think apple lost me as a customer on this one. In order to use apps I already bought I have to buy a new iPad. That is bothering me. I'll look into the mini and the 2 but that just seems so expensive to me right now.