How long can you use your iPad for?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by M325i, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M325i

M325i iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This might sound silly, but it's starting to really concern me. I'm wondering whether it's a bad thing to use your iPad for extremely long periods of time. I'm finding myself using the iPad for about 10 to 15 hours a day, most of the time every day of the week for months straight:eek: (I'm not exaggerating) Yes crazy but I can't help myself there are just too many things you can do on the iPad. So is this bad for the iPad? I say yes because using any product for that long would obviously be bad for it's health right? Or can the iPad handle that much use? I need a second opinion on this topic and maybe some advice on how long you should use the iPad on a weekly bases. I would also like to know roughly how many hours you guys use your iPads in about a week, if that isn't too much to ask. :D
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I'm semi-retired and spent about a year using my iPad 1 for 10+ hours a day. That iPad is now about 14 months old and going strong. I've been using it less of late, because I've been working more, but I bought an iPad 2 so I can alternate between charging one and using the other. If intensive use is "bad" for an iPad, I've seen no indication.

Of course, an iPad battery has only so many charging cycles in it, so it'll run down depending individual use. I'm not sweating it. That's what replacement batteries are for.
  3. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Not bad for the iPad, no...

Might not be great for your social life though.

-t
  4. M325i

M325i iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh so I should be more concerned about the battery life then the iPad itself, I was unaware of the certain amount of charging cycles. It actually makes scents though, that much usage can't be good for the battery.
  5. M325i

M325i iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lol i've been using it a lot lately
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Any rechargeable battery has only so many cycles. Like I said, I don't sweat that. I don't sweat my social life, either, lol. As you say, there are many uses for an Ipad.
  7. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    iPad is made to run!
    Using it all day will just run the amunt of charging cycles you have left down faster.

No harm at all.
  8. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
  9. Dallas2g

Dallas2g iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you use it for an extended period of time...you should get some kind of stand.
  10. fuzzyfelts

fuzzyfelts iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't ever see anyone mention that whilst using their iPad in the home you could have it plugged into the mains thus not depleting your battery at all.

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.
  11. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I'm guessing you're still charging your battery while you use it that way, as indicated by the charging battery symbol. So I think you'd still be using up some of your charging cycles.
  12. M325i

M325i iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought about leaving it plugged in while I use it at home but I guess you would still be charging it, although at about 94% the thunder bolt in the battery goes away and a plug with a short wire appears. I think this means that the battery isn't being charged and you're running the iPad on pure outlet power (correct me if i'm wrong)
  13. M325i

M325i iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I read both the links, thanks they were very helpful and I understand more about the iPad battery now. I would like to know how the battery gets replaced though? Do you send your iPad to apple and they replace it and send it back? Or can you replace it you self? I think the average iPad battery considering extensive use would last about a year before needing replacement right? (Honestly now I'm more concerned about the battery then anything else). I think i've ran my battery life down to 94% in about 4 months. I say this because when the iPad wad brand new and I put it on charge the thunder bolt would stay till it got to 100% then the plug with the short wire would appear, giving me the indication that it's fully charged. Recently the thunder bolt stays in the battery till 94% then the plug with the short wire appears, does this happen to anyone else? Although if I leave it plugged in for more time it slowly climbs to a 100% but it doesn't show the thunder bolt while it charges, it shows the plug with the short wire. Does anyone know the reason why this happens? And does this mean i've used a certain percent of my battery charging cycles and brought the battery life down to 94%?
  14. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Battery replacement:

Apple Guarantees iPad Battery Life -- InformationWeekApple Guarantees iPad Battery Life - hardware Blog

As for charging status, it's not something I've bothered monitoring.

I think you're worrying too much about it. According to the battery guidelines, there are enough cycles for even intense use. If it turns out that yours is defective, I'd bet on Apple making it right, given its customer satisfaction record.

As for using an iPad while plugged in, it'd be something I'd do only without another option. For me, the whole point of a tablet is not being tethered.
  15. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    That's what I thought. Who wants to be plugged in all the time just to save maybe a few charging cycles?
  16. M325i

M325i iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everyone has their opinion thanks for sharing yours. And besides sometimes it's more convenient for me to be plugged in anyways, I don't mind it much. But I completely understand what your saying. Lol
  17. iBenji

iBenji iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I usually use mine for about 4 hours a day all together. I use it primarilly for web surfing.
  18. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I used to worry about charging mine so much and killing the battery, but apple says that even after the charge cycles it will still hold about %80 of its charge, so hell that works for me lol I say use it all you want and charge when you need to =)
  19. M325i

M325i iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmm.. Interesting... If apple says the battery will still hold about 80% of it's charge after the cycles are done, I wonder why they would offer replacement batteries. Because 80% is a lot of battery power. Just sayin lol right?
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  20. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Probably some people will complain about that few hours of battery use they will lose, me Id just plug it in when I could. Also eventually all batteries will begin to not hold a charge more and more, Either way it is at least going to last a few years before that happens anyway.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.