What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long are apple customers supposed to wait.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
k7lvo said:
So, what Tsunami caused the delays with the original iPad - or the iPhone 4 - or the iPhone 3? This is one of the ways they market. It prolongs the excitement from a weekend to 2-3 months. With the original iPhone they MAY not have known what to expect on opening day, but they've darn sure known what to expect since then.

At any rate, you put up with their marketing techniques... or you settle for an inferior device. Ah, well... it only hurts for a few weeks... :)

I agree apple do like to create a bit of hype, but in this case I think you are being too cynical. I read that they were at capacity when it came to production, they made as many as they possibly could, given the shortage of components, but it still wasn't enough.

What narked me was the fact they allowed every customer in the UK to buy two. As a result half of us missed out, and there is now a glut of sealed and boxed iPads on eBay for £650 or more.

In wartime, making money from short supply of products is called profiteering, and is illegal. Bad form for apple to create a situation that allows it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple depends on Japanese components more than most. Right now they are paying premiums to make sure that they get first dibs at any production. 25% of the world production of silicon wafers used to make the processor chips has disappeared. They have postponed the introduction of the iPhone 5 and the likely reason is making sure they have the capacity needed. And it is not just Apple with problems. No one will admit it other than to say they have challenges, or are waiting to see.

Everyone seems to think that production is a matter of a few days or weeks. The manufacturers were given the finished component list months before production, and it takes months to make a correction for any major interruptions.

And the problem of shortages caused by scalpers beating people to the units is true in every country and every popular product. Not a lot you can do about it, except to not be so stupid as to pay these crooks their ripoff prices. I mentioned a while back about black marketers paying people to stand in line at New York. For a few minutes in line, they could make hundreds per iPad selling to a fat cat in a high end BMW. I would love to see the police confiscate every one of those and donate them to the school system.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How dare the largest tragedy in recent history delay your precious iPad. Sorry, but this is seriously petty.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
How dare the largest tragedy in recent history delay your precious iPad. Sorry, but this is seriously petty.

Not to take anything away from the tragedy in Japan, but to my mind it pales in comparison to the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004. 230,000+ people - my mind still refuses to grasp the magnitude of the destruction.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What narked me was the fact they allowed every customer in the UK to buy two. As a result half of us missed out, and there is now a glut of sealed and boxed iPads on eBay for £650 or more.

What's worse is that there will actually be idiot buyers who will pay the scalping price, thus perpetuating the cycle and making it worth the while for scalpers, and spoiling the market in general for other buyers.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
k7lvo said:
So, what Tsunami caused the delays with the original iPad - or the iPhone 4 - or the iPhone 3? This is one of the ways they market. It prolongs the excitement from a weekend to 2-3 months. With the original iPhone they MAY not have known what to expect on opening day, but they've darn sure known what to expect since then.

At any rate, you put up with their marketing techniques... or you settle for an inferior device. Ah, well... it only hurts for a few weeks... :)

I agree apple do like to create a bit of hype, but in this case I think you are being too cynical. I read that they were at capacity when it came to production, they made as many as they possibly could, given the shortage of components, but it still wasn't enough.

In wartime, making money from short supply of products is called profiteering, and is illegal. Bad form for apple to create a situation that allows it.

Profiteering is profiting over war supplies!! The iPad is a toy...this is called supply and demand. If the scalpers buy up the supply they can charge what they want...is it fair, no, is it illegal, no. Best thing you can do is not buy em.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:

Not to take anything away from the tragedy in Japan, but to my mind it pales in comparison to the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004. 230,000+ people - my mind still refuses to grasp the magnitude of the destruction.

You do understand that they had the biggest earthquake in recent history, and tsunamis which resulted in the near nuclear melt down of 2 power plants. I think they have bigger concerns than greedy toys.

Reaction score
gentlefury said:

You do understand that they had the biggest earthquake in recent history, and tsunamis which resulted in the near nuclear melt down of 2 power plants. I think they have bigger concerns than greedy toys.

I believe you are both correct. The 2004 death toll was astronomic ( I believe 230k is way low because they don't census the way we do in remote areas) and had a terrible impact on the region but at the same time it was a tourist area so the overall global business impact was not that great. Japan is a major exporter of many of the goods the world uses to function in this modern age and the impact of the power plants is just beginning to be felt and may be felt for quite a long time. Even after they quit melting down the power they supplied to the factories still has to be replaced and dumping sea water into the rectors guaranteed they will never be fired back up. They will have to be dismantled then rebuilt, could be more than a generation to complete,thus causing possible power supply shortage for a generation.
They both were terrible human tragedies and much more important than an iPad, you are both correct.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I believe you are both correct. The 2004 death toll was astronomic ( I believe 230k is way low because they don't census the way we do in remote areas) and had a terrible impact on the region but at the same time it was a tourist area so the overall global business impact was not that great. Japan is a major exporter of many of the goods the world uses to function in this modern age and the impact of the power plants is just beginning to be felt and may be felt for quite a long time. Even after they quit melting down the power they supplied to the factories still has to be replaced and dumping sea water into the rectors guaranteed they will never be fired back up. They will have to be dismantled then rebuilt, could be more than a generation to complete,thus causing possible power supply shortage for a generation.
They both were terrible human tragedies and much more important than an iPad, you are both correct.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

yup, unfortunately the existence of a previous tragedy doesn't negate the current one.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:

Certainly I understand that. I was merely commenting on the use of the superlative in this case. The quake in Japan, the tsunami and the nuclear problems are enormous but I find the loss of life in the other tragedy to be so great as to reserve for it the terms largest and greatest. They both dwarf the shortage of our toys, though.

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
Profiteering is profiting over war supplies!! The iPad is a toy...this is called supply and demand. If the scalpers buy up the supply they can charge what they want...is it fair, no, is it illegal, no. Best thing you can do is not buy em.

Wrong. Profiteering is defined as unethical business practice during times of emergency. Not just war supplies, or during war time. To use your incorrect definition, you could argue that profiteering during war time is also just supply and demand.

The laws around profiteering are designed to protect consumers from unethical business practices in times of short supply, such as increasing prices.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:

Seriously.

Most reactions

Latest posts