1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How long are apple customers supposed to wait.

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Applebaum, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Applebaum

Applebaum iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How long are customers supposed to wait for their ipads? I mean two months or more? Really? Some people are really being jerked around and lied to by service reps. I think i might buy the Samsung Galaxy.
  2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Have you played with one yet?
  3. The Alternative

The Alternative iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When ordering on-line lead times are clearly stated and fairly accurate. As a matter of fact our iPad2 arrived 2 days before promised. It's very difficult to estimate supply and demand or delivery dates as a service rep. And I can tell you from experience that absolutely no customer service representative likes to "jerk people around" or lie. They won't keep their jobs long if they do. They're most likely only passing on the information that they get. The iPad is a very desirable luxury item so its only logical it will be out of stock quicker and therefore harder to obtain. Have some patience. Purchase an iPad and you'll never look at that Galaxy Tab again.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Many issues are being discovered as offshoots of the tsunami. The story is that the glass cover for the iPads are slowed due to the event. Now they are saying that 70% of the iPod and possibly iPhone, iPad battery supply is threatened. One of the biggest suppliers of batteries has all its factories intact, but the polymer critical for manufacturing the batteries is made by a small company. It is intact, but the shipping facilities needed to get the raw materials to the factory are gone.

Right now, there are thousands of parts used in electronics that are made all over the world. In many cases, they all rely on one or two parts that are made at only a few locations. And some are made within the zone of damage from the tsunami. Try getting a Ford in black or red mettalic colors. The only way is to order it specfic and then you may not have any luck. That is because a critical component is no longer available. From what I have heard, Apple is moving a lot of resources around to make sure they have first shot at what parts are available.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  5. PeteMoss

PeteMoss iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Walmart.com ... 10 days, site-to-store.
  6. HKWrite12

HKWrite12 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Wally?

WHere did you see that?
  7. k7lvo

k7lvo iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So, what Tsunami caused the delays with the original iPad - or the iPhone 4 - or the iPhone 3? This is one of the ways they market. It prolongs the excitement from a weekend to 2-3 months. With the original iPhone they MAY not have known what to expect on opening day, but they've darn sure known what to expect since then.

At any rate, you put up with their marketing techniques... or you settle for an inferior device. Ah, well... it only hurts for a few weeks... :)
  8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Exactly. You wait until you get it. Or don't. Trippin about something you have no control over, just makes us more frustrated. IMO.:)
  9. Thphilli

Thphilli iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Exactly. Its a marketing tactic and nothing else. Some will buy into the tsunami story to ease their minds, but this is how Apple prefers to sell their mobile devices. Creates more of a buzz.
  10. Applebaum

Applebaum iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to thank everyone who commented! I have to admit that I was tripping! But I feel better now and your all right. I know that I won't regret that I held out for an excellent product! Just frustrated and impatient. You guys and gals are the bomb! ;)
  11. Applebaum

Applebaum iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just to remind, I reserved 10:00am on March 12th.
  12. HKWrite12

HKWrite12 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm pulling out my hair too. I kinda wana buy an iPad 1 to play with for three weeks to keep me calm ya know but I don't want to waste money. I'm willing to pay 200-300 for a used one cuz I want one for my car, but I'm just Tryna be patient too dawg. My bestie keeps reminding me that it will be worth it, but I'm ready for the magic. I've waited a whole year now, and three weeks is FOREVER. but all will be well Baum baby. We shall prevail!!!!
  13. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    But why - as a for-profit company with shareholders to account to - would Apple choose to *deliberately* delay shipment and frustrate customers, rather than ship product and make money back as fast as they can? Having impatient, unhappy customers is just bad, stupid publicity, and it's not like they need any more publicity.
  14. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +459 / 0
    Apple is Manufacturing more than 1.5 million ipads a month which is not enough to cover world wide demand until it catches up née factories are coming on line this year as well Apple is not holding back they are producing as many as they can
  15. Silent Assassin

Silent Assassin iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Enjoy your Galaxy..
  16. NickHillUK

NickHillUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have, and to be honest it felt 'clunky' compared to my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  17. NickHillUK

NickHillUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree apple do like to create a bit of hype, but in this case I think you are being too cynical. I read that they were at capacity when it came to production, they made as many as they possibly could, given the shortage of components, but it still wasn't enough.

What narked me was the fact they allowed every customer in the UK to buy two. As a result half of us missed out, and there is now a glut of sealed and boxed iPads on eBay for £650 or more.

In wartime, making money from short supply of products is called profiteering, and is illegal. Bad form for apple to create a situation that allows it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  18. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Apple depends on Japanese components more than most. Right now they are paying premiums to make sure that they get first dibs at any production. 25% of the world production of silicon wafers used to make the processor chips has disappeared. They have postponed the introduction of the iPhone 5 and the likely reason is making sure they have the capacity needed. And it is not just Apple with problems. No one will admit it other than to say they have challenges, or are waiting to see.

Everyone seems to think that production is a matter of a few days or weeks. The manufacturers were given the finished component list months before production, and it takes months to make a correction for any major interruptions.

And the problem of shortages caused by scalpers beating people to the units is true in every country and every popular product. Not a lot you can do about it, except to not be so stupid as to pay these crooks their ripoff prices. I mentioned a while back about black marketers paying people to stand in line at New York. For a few minutes in line, they could make hundreds per iPad selling to a fat cat in a high end BMW. I would love to see the police confiscate every one of those and donate them to the school system.
  19. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    How dare the largest tragedy in recent history delay your precious iPad. Sorry, but this is seriously petty.
  20. Catfiend

Catfiend iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Not to take anything away from the tragedy in Japan, but to my mind it pales in comparison to the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004. 230,000+ people - my mind still refuses to grasp the magnitude of the destruction.