What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is this better..

marioG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just gave my Galaxy Note 10.1 to my niece and upgraded myself to the IPad Air, at least I thought it was an upgrade.
With this superdoopa Apple Air you can't get free apps without handing over your credit card details.
Yes I said Free Apps.
Bluetooth appears to only work between Apple to Apple not Apple to Other!
Then there is no Back button - Give me a break
Seems the only thing going for the Air is cellular data and this forum (a great forum btw) I'm so disappointed in this Air and was hoping for so much more user friendliness out of this machine like you get with the Samsung. If you think the IPad Air is great then you probably haven't used anything else. Sure the galaxy also has it's faults but all in all it's truly a superior machine.
Soon as I sell this mistake (at a loss) I'm going back to the Note.
Such a letdown.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One does not need a credit card to down load free apps. You just need to register the iTunes account using non instead of a card. In respect to Bluetooth it supports all external devices from car systems , headphones, speakers, keyboards and many more so I donot understand what the problem is. I will let our team explain what I posted so that you completely understand and one more thing I sell both the galaxy note and iPad Air. Without question the iPad Air offers a far better experience than the note plus customer satisfaction is number 1. Please provide any other issues you have so that we can at least assist you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As Colin said, you can register in the App Store without a credit card. If memory serves, all you need to do is start by trying to download a 'free' app. You'll be prompted to register and should see an option non, or no card, etc. It's been a while, so this may have changed. Maybe the non is available in all registration modes now.

Bluetooth is supported for quite a few things. You can generally pair other mobile devices (though not easily), but it's pretty much pointless, since network and file sharing will not work. Neither of these things worked well to begin with, and both were security problems; probably why Apple left them out. Most other bluetooth protocols work fine, audio and keyboards mostly. Apps can also use bluetooth to transfer files or communicate, but that is up to the developers, of course.

iOS does not need a back button. It was designed to work differently. The simplest is the Home Button, which works everywhere. Another is the four finger swipe. Swipe with four fingers left or right to move forward or backwards between you most recent apps. (Enable under Settings > General > Multitasking Gestures). You can also double press the Home button to get the multitasking bar, where you can select among recent tasks.

Apps almost always have a back button or mode selection where appropriate. Of course, there are poorly designed apps that implement these, well, poorly.

I have a Nexus 7, and personally I find the Back button to be irritatingly unpredictable. You never know if it is going to move you back an app, or back to a screen inside the app.

I recommend you play with iPad a bit longer. Change is always irritating when you don't expect it, but you can't properly evaluate a new device and OS in a day or two. The price of reselling it is isn't going to drop dramatically for at least a couple months.

Both Android and iOS have their strong and weak points. Both seem easy when you are used to them. Both can be irritating when you insist they work like the other one.

OP
M

marioG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Colin said, you can register in the App Store without a credit card. If memory serves, all you need to do is start by trying to download a 'free' app. You'll be prompted to register and should see an option non, or no card, etc. It's been a while, so this may have changed. Maybe the non is available in all registration modes now.

Bluetooth is supported for quite a few things. You can generally pair other mobile devices (though not easily), but it's pretty much pointless, since network and file sharing will not work. Neither of these things worked well to begin with, and both were security problems; probably why Apple left them out. Most other bluetooth protocols work fine, audio and keyboards mostly. Apps can also use bluetooth to transfer files or communicate, but that is up to the developers, of course.

iOS does not need a back button. It was designed to work differently. The simplest is the Home Button, which works everywhere. Another is the four finger swipe. Swipe with four fingers left or right to move forward or backwards between you most recent apps. (Enable under Settings > General > Multitasking Gestures). You can also double press the Home button to get the multitasking bar, where you can select among recent tasks.

Apps almost always have a back button or mode selection where appropriate. Of course, there are poorly designed apps that implement these, well, poorly.

I have a Nexus 7, and personally I find the Back button to be irritatingly unpredictable. You never know if it is going to move you back an app, or back to a screen inside the app.

I recommend you play with iPad a bit longer. Change is always irritating when you don't expect it, but you can't properly evaluate a new device and OS in a day or two. The price of reselling it is isn't going to drop dramatically for at least a couple months.

Both Android and iOS have their strong and weak points. Both seem easy when you are used to them. Both can be irritating when you insist they work like the other one.

Thanks for the reply, the way it read I had to supply the card details. Others I know with the 'Air' have the same opinion as me, we think we had to give the numbers.
When trying to download free apps it just kept asking for the card details, in the end I just gave in
and gave the numbers.

In respect to the 'Bluetooth' issue, I tried a number of times to transfer photos from the IPad to my Samsung S111, The Samsung paired with the pad but the pad kept saying 'Not Connected'.
I later read (on this forum) someone having similar trouble and the reply to him was to email the pics to himself as the ipad could only communicate with like devices.
I miss the back button on the Samsung, so handy, something not always available on the Ipad depending on where you are and what you're doing.

Don't misunderstand, the IPad Air is an excellent device and perhaps more technically superior to the Samsung, however with the Samsung you are not tied to anyone like the IPad handcufs you Apple, and he Samsung has many great features and is also a great machine it's just a little heavier and thicker but most of all it's very user friendly from the moment you open the box.
Going from Samsung Note 10.1 to an Apple IPad Air' is and will be an unpleasant experience for the novice.

So now how do I get apple to delete my credit card details so I can use a new card I have now.
I've now got a second credit card with minimal limit for use on the net.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Call apple support you definitely donot need to have a credit card. You can log in to iTunes to your account and change the details
As for blue tooth the iOS is secure for multiple reasons one include us government requirements for security. to transfer photos from iPad to another droid device use drop box on each it is much faster

I don't understand what your handcuffing issue is I transfer files across different devices every day with out issue.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My first purchase was a Galaxy. Was so frustrated after a few days I took it back to office depot. Clerk asked why and I told him and he asked if I wanted to try anything else. I said an iPad. He mumbled under his breath " I don't blame you". OD doesn't sell Apple products!
Never looked back except i do miss it's keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
..snip..
So now how do I get apple to delete my credit card details so I can use a new card I have now.
I've now got a second credit card with minimal limit for use on the net.

To change your payment information, open the App or iTunes Store on the iPad. Doesn't matter which one.

Scroll to the bottom of the first tab and you should see either your Apple ID or a Sign In box. Tap this, sign in with your Apple ID if necessary, and choose View Apple ID.

If you haven't already done so, and maybe even then, you'll need to enter your Apple ID information again. Tap Payment Information. You'll be able to change your credit card info, including the None option if you still want it.

Many people choose to run their iTunes/App/iBooks Store account using Gift cards. You can redeem these by choosing the Redeem box; next to the Apple ID box you just used. When you have a positive balance in your account it is always used first, before charging any cards you have on file.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excellent advice from all, but try patience. It took me a while to get used to my iPad but I am so glad I stuck with it. I am still learning but thanks to the fact that I subscribe to this forum I have access to really good advice. Stick with it and keep asking questions on here. You will always get an answer. Hope you soon feel as I do.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My reply won't be popular here but I sort of agree. Let me preface this by saying that I love my iPad 3 and when I upgrade it will probably be to another iPad. I just like simplicity. But I have a Note 3 phone and I love it. I'd never have an iPhone in a million years. My note 3 almost made me want a Galaxy note tablet. There are a LOT of things you can't do on an iPad yet. But to each his own right? The same device doesn't work for everyone.

I agree with the above statements though, about payment information. It was my experience that when I signed up on iTunes on my computer it required cc info. No getting around it. Once I used my iPad I was able to go into the App Store and remove it and I use a gift card on my account now. Other than that I have never had any trouble with using blue tooth devices and these complaints the original poster gives are definitely not the ones I'd use when comparing the two devices. The things I miss on Apple should soon be coming to the iPad so I am excited about that.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After just spending some frustrating few minutes on the non user friendly keyboard I will again look into the latest Galaxy when it's time. When doing lots of alpha and numerical typing the iPad keyboard is inexcusable. Frustrating doesn't even describe it.
I won't put up with a lap top that doesn't have both keyboards on front. Jumping through hoops to add Numerics is a pita.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose that the reason Apple doesn't permanently display the number keys is to cut down on the percentage of the screen covered by the keyboard when typing. Adding another row of keys to the keyboard would have the keyboard cover about 60% of the screen.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No back button - Every apps have their own back button.

You can actually make an Apple ID without a credit card.

Bluetooth is risky, it's possible to have a virus from transferring data to data. Apple is strict with malwares. It only works on Bluetooth keyboards, headset, and other things.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make each key a tad bit smaller would work for me.
Not for everyone.

To access the numbers without changing keyboard sights, you can tap the Numbers key and slide to the number that you want to tap, then lift your finger.

Most reactions