What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is iOS 8.1 on your iPad 2?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've only got ipad2 and old Xp computers now running ubuntu. All was a dream before upgrading to ios8. How could I upgrade vis itunes? It seems to me I can't. Any ideas most welcome
You'll have to install iTunes. In an old thread from 2012, I've seen that, in order to get this done, you need Wine on your computer. Then you'll be able to install iTunes. There might be several videos in youtube, which will show you how to install Wine, and iTunes.
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-to-use-itunes-with-ubuntu.69532/
Then connect your iPad to the computer, select your device in iTunes, click "Check for Updates", then "Download and Install".

As you're already up to date, restore your iPad. After installing the latest version of iTunes on your computer, backup your iPad (can also be done using iCloud), then restore it. This link will help with the procedure:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Most, if not all of your problems might be removed this way. After updating, disconnect your iPad, then reset it: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time, until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let the iPad power up.

Hope that helps.

barmspring

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll have to install iTunes. In an old thread from 2012, I've seen that, in order to get this done, you need Wine on your computer. Then you'll be able to install iTunes. There might be several videos in youtube, which will show you how to install Wine, and iTunes.
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-to-use-itunes-with-ubuntu.69532/
Then connect your iPad to the computer, select your device in iTunes, click "Check for Updates", then "Download and Install".

As you're already up to date, restore your iPad. After installing the latest version of iTunes on your computer, backup your iPad (can also be done using iCloud), then restore it. This link will help with the procedure:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Most, if not all of your problems might be removed this way. After updating, disconnect your iPad, then reset it: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time, until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let the iPad power up.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much.seems an excellent solution so I'll have a go in the next few days. I'll report back as soon as I can.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just updated my iPad 2 from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8.1 and have noticed no problems at all so far.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine's an iPad3 (the one that Apple says no longer exists:), the first of the Retina screens) I had always updated OTA because I had tons of capacity on my 64 gig iPad, with no problems. This time downloaded via iTunes (after backing up there) and that went very smoothly. Seeing some improvement like, so far, no occasional WiFi drop offs and the speed seems to be a touch faster. Which is all rather academic as I will be getting the new Air2 next week...can't wait:)
Andrew

mohitoswal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to 8.1. Immidiately I noticed 2 problems.
1. To start after a complete shut down it takes a very long time. Infact to long. initially I thought that something had happend to my iPad .
2. ThreeG stopped working and I have to do shut down and start again for it to work. Nothing else works.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded to 8.1. Immidiately I noticed 2 problems.
1. To start after a complete shut down it takes a very long time. Infact to long. initially I thought that something had happend to my iPad .
2. ThreeG stopped working and I have to do shut down and start again for it to work. Nothing else works.

I have to agree with you on that, mohitoswal. I also experience the long shutdown and start up time after powering off since the updates. In fact, I have had to plug my iPad to the main in order for it to turn on. (Weird) I was hoping that the 8.1 would help speed up the start up time when the device, but it hasn't. However, the wifi drops have stopped since updating to 8.1. So...it shows me that that my trusty ipad 2 is just showing its old bones now. My iPad isn't perfect since the updates to 8, but at least the last update improved some of the glitches I had.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine's an iPad3 (the one that Apple says no longer exists:), the first of the Retina screens) I had always updated OTA because I had tons of capacity on my 64 gig iPad, with no problems. This time downloaded via iTunes (after backing up there) and that went very smoothly. Seeing some improvement like, so far, no occasional WiFi drop offs and the speed seems to be a touch faster. Which is all rather academic as I will be getting the new Air2 next week...can't wait:)
Andrew

I wish! Certainly on the cards when I am over in the US next year, hopefully. My beloved wife can then have my cast off ipad 3! Dragging her into the 21st century with all the technology available has, shall we say, been challenging but she has certainly taken to Apple iOS.
Mike

mohitoswal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlike you skimonkey, I have never had a glitch in my iPad 2 ever, before this.
Having to shut down and then restart " painfully" every time the 3G is the most irritating thing I have ever experienced with any apple product

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unlike you skimonkey, I have never had a glitch in my iPad 2 ever, before this.
Having to shut down and then restart " painfully" every time the 3G is the most irritating thing I have ever experienced with any apple product

Let me correct this...I didn't notice any changes as mentioned above until update with 8.

Most reactions

Latest posts