What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is iOS 8.1 on your iPad 2?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Longtime Lurker, first time poster here...
After updating to iOS 8 and having it cause grief on my iPad 2 I'm a little gun shy on updating to 8.1. Was hoping other users could post their feedback here on how iOS 8.1 is working on their iPad 2 ? Has it solved any issues? made them worse?

My main issue has been Safari but it also has made the sleep/ wake function very sluggish. Have done full resets a few times and complete re installs from iCloud with minor improvements. I'm really hoping 8.1 clears this up.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad 2 updated without problems. I didn't have issues before the update, and I couldn't find glitches so far.

I suggest updating the software using iTunes on your computer. This could help solve the sluggish sleep-wake function.

Make sure you have a recent backup. Update iTunes (computer), connect your iPad to it. In iTunes, select your device. Click "Check for Updated", then "Download and Install". That done, disconnect your device and reset it, using Home and Power button.

disclamatory

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After updating to iOS 8 and having it cause grief on my iPad 2 I'm a little gun shy on updating to 8.1. Was hoping other users could post their feedback here on how iOS 8.1 is working on their iPad 2 ? Has it solved any issues? made them worse?

My main issue has been Safari but it also has made the sleep/ wake function very sluggish. Have done full resets a few times and complete re installs from iCloud with minor improvements. I'm really hoping 8.1 clears this up.

Awful. Sluggish, embarrassing even as a pass-on-to kids toy

OP
Brian 244

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and updated to 8.1. Seems a bit better, not as sluggish in Safari. Still not as good as iOS 7 was. If I had it to do over , definitely would have stayed with 7.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To a degree, I agree with Brian but I am pleased that I too took the plunge. A noticeable improvement but I learned from last time's near disaster..... update through iTunes! Anyway, got to go, Barça is about to play Ajax in the Champion's League

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While major version updates often benefit from the iTunes method, point updates rarely do. They tend to work just as well, or poorly as the OTA updates.

In general, point updates are always worth doing. The iOS 8.01 was an extreme exception, but only for iPhone 6 devices. It probably would not have been yanked except that it was consistently breaking Apple's newest bestest device.

Still, those who are (or should be) risk adverse are better off waiting a day or dozen after any update. And if they have critical apps that can not be be lived without, they should check the developer's site for compatibility issues first.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP,

What's a point update?

Mike

Anything after the first iOS version number. So if 8 is the main update then any additional update to iOS 8, (signified by numbers after the decimal 'point' ) are point updates. 8.01, 8.02, 8.1, etc.

How serious/important the update is tends to be signified by the left most digit; so .1 is a bigger update than .02 was. and .11 would be a minor update compared to .2. Some developers add even more decimal points to further divide things, like 8.1.12.1, and so on. With iOS Apple's has kept it fairly simple.

This is pretty common in the industry, which is why it got the term point update exists. I picked it up, and used it, because I read way too many tech blogs. Sorry. :eek:

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Updated both iPhone and iPad 2 to 8.1.

Not much use time yet but no obvious issues or performance difference.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After having initial problems with iOS 8 on my iPad 2, probably due to updating via wifi, I reloaded via iTunes, and now after updating to 8.1 on both my iPhone 5c and iPad 2, things seem to have calmed down somewhat. One thing I've noticed though is the battery life is now marginally less than it was on iOS 7, but not by much.

barmspring

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I
After having initial problems with iOS 8 on my iPad 2, probably due to updating via wifi, I reloaded via iTunes, and now after updating to 8.1 on both my iPhone 5c and iPad 2, things seem to have calmed down somewhat. One thing I've noticed though is the battery life is now marginally less than it was on iOS 7, but not by much.

i

ive just updated to 8.1 via wifi as, with demise of XP, I have only my ipad2. Nothing now is as good as it was before upgrading to 8. Wished I'd never upgraded.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I took some good advice and upgraded via iTunes after a bad start with IOS 8. Worked for me and resolved a lot of issues. Hope it gets sorted for you as opposed to some views expressed on here, I am becoming more & more inclined towards Apple systems. As for Windows 8.1 ........ PCs have their uses but now my PC is just hassle. It is fairly new, no games on it, just used for business and emails but not a patch on my iPad!

barmspring

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only got ipad2 and old Xp computers now running ubuntu. All was a dream before upgrading to ios8. How could I upgrade vis itunes? It seems to me I can't. Any ideas most welcome

Most reactions