How is iOS 8.1 on your iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Brian 244, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Longtime Lurker, first time poster here...
    After updating to iOS 8 and having it cause grief on my iPad 2 I'm a little gun shy on updating to 8.1. Was hoping other users could post their feedback here on how iOS 8.1 is working on their iPad 2 ? Has it solved any issues? made them worse?

My main issue has been Safari but it also has made the sleep/ wake function very sluggish. Have done full resets a few times and complete re installs from iCloud with minor improvements. I'm really hoping 8.1 clears this up.

2. Blue92

Blue92
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'll be installing tomorrow night. I'll find out. : )

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My iPad 2 updated without problems. I didn't have issues before the update, and I couldn't find glitches so far.

I suggest updating the software using iTunes on your computer. This could help solve the sluggish sleep-wake function.

Make sure you have a recent backup. Update iTunes (computer), connect your iPad to it. In iTunes, select your device. Click "Check for Updated", then "Download and Install". That done, disconnect your device and reset it, using Home and Power button.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. disclamatory

disclamatory
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

Awful. Sluggish, embarrassing even as a pass-on-to kids toy

5. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Well, I bit the bullet and updated to 8.1. Seems a bit better, not as sluggish in Safari. Still not as good as iOS 7 was. If I had it to do over , definitely would have stayed with 7.

6. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    To a degree, I agree with Brian but I am pleased that I too took the plunge. A noticeable improvement but I learned from last time's near disaster..... update through iTunes! Anyway, got to go, Barça is about to play Ajax in the Champion's League

7. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Updated via wifi. Went smoothly. Everything seems to work OK.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    While major version updates often benefit from the iTunes method, point updates rarely do. They tend to work just as well, or poorly as the OTA updates.

In general, point updates are always worth doing. The iOS 8.01 was an extreme exception, but only for iPhone 6 devices. It probably would not have been yanked except that it was consistently breaking Apple's newest bestest device.

Still, those who are (or should be) risk adverse are better off waiting a day or dozen after any update. And if they have critical apps that can not be be lived without, they should check the developer's site for compatibility issues first.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hi TP,

What's a point update?

Mike

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Anything after the first iOS version number. So if 8 is the main update then any additional update to iOS 8, (signified by numbers after the decimal 'point' ) are point updates. 8.01, 8.02, 8.1, etc.

How serious/important the update is tends to be signified by the left most digit; so .1 is a bigger update than .02 was. and .11 would be a minor update compared to .2. Some developers add even more decimal points to further divide things, like 8.1.12.1, and so on. With iOS Apple's has kept it fairly simple.

This is pretty common in the industry, which is why it got the term point update exists. I picked it up, and used it, because I read way too many tech blogs. Sorry. :eek:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List