What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how fast is your wifi ipad speeds?

mrdinh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
at my home, i get between 1-10 megs...depends on how close i am from the router...mine provider is cox...

thanks

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Actually speedtest.net sends you to the app store where you can d/l a free speed test app, thus answering my original question and providing an answer:
In Lake Arrowhead, California, using Charter Cable:
10.94 Mb/s down
2.03 Mb/s up (yes, megabits/s upload)

When I'm back to west los angeles I'll test there also.

Lgchris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Running speediest my download speed results are all over the board each time I run it, the slowest is 1.5 mb (download) fastest was 7.5 mb, upload was slow but consistent each time at 471kbs or almost half a mb. I'm on time warners high speed cable in Kansas city.

OP
M

mrdinh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...how to test if the apple router signals is running properly?...anyone knows?

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SpeedtestX HD app shows my home Wi-Fi between 5-6 Mb on a regular basis. My provider is AT&T U-Verse with 6 Mb speed; however I have a Linksys WR54G router behind their 2-Wire gateway and have their gateway Wi-Fi turned off.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are one of two scenarios here - either the iPad's WiFi is garbage or the Speedtest app is garbage.

I get .91MB/s download speed on my iPad.

I get 8MB/s download speed on my desktop using the same WiFi connection.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
14 down, 1.5 up

Using speedtest.net app same speed as desktop...that explains why u think browsing sucks.

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are one of two scenarios here - either the iPad's WiFi is garbage or the Speedtest app is garbage.

I get .91MB/s download speed on my iPad.

I get 8MB/s download speed on my desktop using the same WiFi connection.
Sounds like either an issue with your iPad or your AP (Wireless Access Point).

My tests on my iPad have been done using 2 Apps and 2 speed Websites. I use to run the same test site on my MacBook and Wife's Windows Vista laptop and all showed similar down/up speeds.

* What type of AP or router do you use for Wi-Fi?
* Is is dual band, or dual SSID (private/open)?

These were some of the issues I read about Wi-Fi speeds back when the iPad was released... You might want to visit your local Apple store and make an appointment at the Geek bar (I mean with a Genius); however I recommend using SpeedtestX HD on some other Wi-Fi networks, like Panera, McDonalds, etc. or even at Apple store first to troubleshoot your Wi-Fi speed issue a bit more.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it was a problem with my ap I would have the same issue with my pc when I did the speed test. The router is a dual band non open netgear

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it was a problem with my ap I would have the same issue with my pc when I did the speed test. The router is a dual band non open netgear
Not really as the iPad and your desktop PC use different 802.11 devices and most likely the manufacturer used different specs in their production. I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot your issue. I, and many others DON'T have the same issue as you do. If you follow my advise to try your iPad on another Wi-Fi network using the same Speed Test app you can determine if the issue is with you Netgear Router of your iPad. If you don't follow my advise that's fine with me; however you will not experience true iPad Wi-Fi speeds as most in this post have.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if it's my wireless access point what do you suggest I change?

I don't have another WiFi spot with me, but generally anywhere I go it seems sluggish. But I didn't download the speedtest app until yesterday so I'll have to reserve judgment until I test it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts