What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you transfer all files?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got my new Pro and so far am delighted!

Could be I should have posted this on the general discussion forum, but I figured many folks are having to deal with the issue here.

I want to transfer all files and apps from my iPad 3 to my new iPad Pro. What is the best way to deal with such massive migration. Am I right in thinking I can't just do a "restore" operation using iTunes---since it would be from one iPad to another?

Can you recommend an app for this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Connect your iPad 3 to iTunes on your computer and do a backup. Now, connect your iPad Pro to iTunes and do a restore. This will erase anything on the iPad and re-install the latest version of iOS. When the restore is complete you'll be offered the choice of setting it up as a new iPad or from a backup. Choose to set it up from a backup and select the iPad 3 backup you just made. All the files and apps will be installed on the iPad Pro, just as they were on the iPad 3.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I may, one additional step. Since you are backing up to iTunes, select encryption for the back up. Don't loose the password you choose to use. This way all settings and secure information will be saved and transferred when you use the back up to your new iPad Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts