What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you set a default browser??

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I absolutely love perfect browser, but how do I get it to open links from emails etc??

~John

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You don't. There is no way to change the default browser from Safari.

Well, unless you jailbreak. If you wan to do that head over to the Hacking forum and read the stickies. If you have an iPad 2, then you'll have to wait. Last I heard there is still no untethered jailbreak for it.

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am was afraid of that. God I hate how Apple treats everybody as a technical idiot.

I have an ipad2, and it would already be jailbroken if it was possible.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
With so many better browsers out there I agree Apple do take the mickey a little.

Do they? In their advertising they only show and/or mention Safari.......seems quite honest and upfront for any company......it's not like they don't mention it and when you open it, wow, there it is. You can even go into any Apple store before you buy it and test drive it.

The Archangel

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
With so many better browsers out there I agree Apple do take the mickey a little.

Do they? In their advertising they only show and/or mention Safari.......seems quite honest and upfront for any company.....

What on earth are you talking about?? Where do you see anybody claiming there was dishonesty on Apple's part??

The annoying things is, Safari is vastly inferior to all the other browser options (anybody who thinks ""safari is good enough" has never tried the other options or isn't a sophisticated enough user to know the difference) but Apple has made it impossible to change the default (a fairly basic function that windows users take for granted)without jailbreaking the device.

This irritating arrogant"you'll use what we say & like it" attitude by Apple is why so many experienced user hate Apple with a passion.

~John

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
What on earth are you talking about?? Where do you see anybody claiming there was dishonesty on Apple's part??

The annoying things is, Safari is vastly inferior to all the other browser options (anybody who thinks ""safari is good enough" has never tried the other options or isn't a sophisticated enough user to know the difference) but Apple has made it impossible to change the default (a fairly basic function that windows users take for granted)without jailbreaking the device.

This irritating arrogant"you'll use what we say & like it" attitude by Apple is why so many experienced user hate Apple with a passion.

~John

My point was, and still is, that I don't understand the argument.

It does exactly what Apple said it would, it was there to try before you buy in the stores, so i don't understand the need to complain once you have bought it......I knew what I was buying and I'm happy, very happy with it. If it didn't do something that they said it would then fair enough, that would be good reason for complaint.

As for being a sophisticated enough user or not trying the other options I think that is somewhat unfair. I have grown up building my own pc's, building websites, using many different browsers, OS's, software packages but you know what, it works for me, it does what I want it to, I would say that having used computers at home and work constantly for over 30 years, I am an experienced user and not only do I not hate Apple, I actually like what they do and enjoy using their products, including their browser.....maybe that's because I have no need for all the bells and whistles, I just need a browser that does what safari does.

If these "experienced users" hate Apple with a passion then they have a choice, no one has ever forced anyone to buy an iPad.

The Archangel

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well said Archangel. We all knew when we bought our APPLE iPads that we would have to use Safari as a browser, the same as we knew we wouldn't have Flash or that we wouldn't be able to use a USB stick.

If I had wanted or needed these then I wouldn't have bought an iPad! I would have bought a netbook!

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
iPad 2 is cool said:

Do they? In their advertising they only show and/or mention Safari.......seems quite honest and upfront for any company.....

~John

I've seen this same argument many times and quite frankly I do not understand the rant. Just because a user can change or modify the OS of a device doesn’t necessarily mean they should. Android products allow you to jailbreak, hack, and abuse the product in many ways they were not originally intended but that doesn’t really make it right. And their “open” system causes problems of its own. If Cadillac or Ford found you tweaking their OBC I’m pretty sure they’d have words with you. And declaring that the iPad doesn’t perform like a PC is like the guy who bought a new DVD player and is angry because he can't watch Blu-Ray Discs on it. Obviously, he didn’t do his homework. Also, the argument about technical and sophisticated users hating Apple loses its steam with this forum as many here have been working and playing with computers for many, many years (I'm talking when computers were the size of desks and you had to actually code something to get output – think mid-80’s) and absolutely love this device and what Apple provides with all their products. In my experience, the folks who complain the most about Apple do so before truly experiencing the product for what it is rather than comparing it to their “technically superior” PC experience which it decidedly is not. I, for one, am very happy that my iPad has never had a virus or blue-screened on me. And I don’t have to pay one of the huge protection services (i.e. Norton) every year to keep malware, spyware, and worms off my device either. Embrace Apple’s new tablet technology and this new method of computing with an open mind. Perhaps you might learn a new thing or two. But then again as an old programmer with RPG, COBOL, and IBM 360 Assembly experience take this with a grain of salt. It is, after all, only my opinion.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
The annoying things is, Safari is vastly inferior to all the other browser options (anybody who thinks ""safari is good enough" has never tried the other options or isn't a sophisticated enough user to know the difference)

Or maybe you're just too easily annoyed?

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am was afraid of that. God I hate how Apple treats everybody as a technical idiot.

Next conversation will be :
Why can I not view Flash?
Can I attach, speakers, hard drive, Monitor additional attachments and a printer to make my Ipad a Desk top?
Can I down grade ( Going backwards) to the 3.2 ?
Can I expand my Ipad memory?
Can I attach a key board to my Ipad to make it a netbook?
Please let's enjoy the Ipad the way it is otherwise buy a laptop and call it a day.

OP
J

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Next conversation will be :
Why can I not view Flash?
Can I attach, speakers, hard drive, Monitor additional attachments and a printer to make my Ipad a Desk top?
Can I down grade ( Going backwards) to the 3.2 ?
Can I expand my Ipad memory?
Can I attach a key board to my Ipad to make it a netbook?
Please let's enjoy the Ipad the way it is otherwise buy a laptop and call it a
day.

Typical useless fanboy response.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And really, John ~ this thread was going well ~ until this post. Which you do tend to come to IPF and bash Apple quite a bit, from what I have read.

IPF is an Apple iPad forum. I know you are frustrated with certain things, but perhaps you could refrain from rants a little? This is what sets others off, sometimes.

Please?

Most reactions

Latest posts