What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you make a tilde

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hold down N and select Ñ from the resulting popup.

The Portuguese à is also available on the English keyboard.

Or if you want a standalone tilde, you get to it from the 123 key followed by the #+= key, and you'll find it 4th from the left on the middle row.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, the iPad can have more than one language keyboard active. So if you're typing, perhaps en Español a lot, you can add that keyboard and switch back and forth as needed.

Though if you use the accented characters only occasionally, almost all of them are avialable as KevinJS described. Just tap-hold on the keyboard character that most resembles them. Lots of other hidden character as well.

I found this handy when I attempted the Duolingo app.

Dagwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i tried the above advice ie hold down the letter eg N and select n with tilde but for some reason it does not work. In fact I get an n plus an h.
Puzzling, any suggestions?
Dagwood

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i tried the above advice ie hold down the letter eg N and select n with tilde but for some reason it does not work. In fact I get an n plus an h.
Puzzling, any suggestions?
Dagwood

Don't lift your finger right away. Slide it up from the 'n' to the 'ñ' , then lift it. If you lift it befor you select the alternate character you'll just end up tapping the letter underneith, in this case the 'h'.

Most reactions

Latest posts