1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How do you guys feel about App review popups

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by HTMLEgg, Jul 19, 2011.

1. HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've noticed a number of Apps have a auto pop up that ask you to provide a review, it usually comes up after you've used the App a few times. You are provided with options to Review now, Remind again and Cancel.

Being a developer, I wonder how users feel about this. Do you think it's reasonable to include such an add-on within an App or does it frustrate users?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from everyone.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I don't mind if it only pops up once - but gives me the option elsewhere for a review - or, remind me in 7 days.

Tim
  3. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 0
    As a user, it annoys the heck out of me! I can live with one (one!) pop-up. It's bothersome, but liveable.

It's the ones that Continue. To. Ask. For. A. Review. that annoy me. Unfortunately, I usually do like the app, so I don't delete it because of that irritation.

It could be just me - because, as a rule, I don't do reviews. I figure me purchasing the app is review enough, especially if I go back to purchase a full-fledged app after being allowed the opportunity to try out a [free] Lite version.

Good luck in your development project(s).

Marilyn
  4. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Lose connectivity while trying to update email which is like 4 profiles! That's annoying! :) but to answer your question, no it doesn't bother me, I get it with windows updates all the time so I'm used to it!
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. K1W1

K1W1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hate them and will not post a review on any app that uses this technique.
  6. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Meh. It depends for me really. Usually based on what I'm doing at the time. If its something important it can get kind of annoying.
  7. HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback. What if it's not in the form of a popup, say it's more like a button in the option setting somewhere, is that more tolerable? I think I've seen this being done a few times too, although the popup is more common.
  8. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I quite like that idea
  9. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I think many users have been conditioned to hate pop-ups of any kind. (The little mouse-over pop-ups are especially annoying.) I typically do provide a review; a sort of pay-it-forward because I appreciate reading them when I'm purchasing an app. But it would be less annoying to have a prominently displayed review button than a pop-up.
  10. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I find it annoying honestly. if I open the app, I am intent on using the app right away, a popup offering to take me away from the app when I want to use the app is a bit aggravating...
  11. Manou

Manou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here - I find them extremely annoying.
  12. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I wouldn't mind if it didn't ask me to review my apps again after every update. Some of my apps update frequently and it gets annoying. I review every app I get on Apple and Android but never on the first day.

Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  13. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Popups should be used only for important alerts, not to beg for a review. I won't mind having an icon or menu somewhere in the app saying "Review me!". This way, you can still remind the user to do a review, but you won't annoy the user by stopping what he was going to do.

And especially with games, where you setup a game for a kid to play with. Then you hear "What should I do? It is asking me something..."

VicoPad addict!
  14. Dee Ashley

Dee Ashley iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am more than willing to write a review, but would like it to be more of an option. I like the idea of it not being a pop-up. I haven't had it ask for a review more than once, or after updates, but I would prefer to ask for review as I am exiting an application rather than when I am opening the application.
  15. leana

leana iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    change a button is good

That's a good idea,I like it.;)
  16. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    As a developer its a tough situation.

It used to be the only time we had a review was when an App was being deleted... Not a great time to get positive reviews.

People tend to leave negative reviews when they hate a product, but skip leaving a review if they like a product. Some will always review Apps, but they are rare.

Reviews drive sales if they are positive.

How many of you will buy a $4 App with 2 star reviews, or one without enough reviews to get a rating?

That's why you are asked to review again after a major revision update - the review system gets reset...

-t
  17. HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like not having a popup and instead just displaying a link/button somewhere is more acceptable for users.

thewitt - I feel the same way. I've never liked popups but understand the developer doesn't have many options and ratings/reviews are so important for sales. So I always review for popups on Apps I liked, even tho I'm slightly irritated. hah and I'm a developer myself! Can't imagine what it's like for regular users.
  18. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    To be honest, I have to be blown away by an app (in a good or bad way) before I will rate it... Asking me in the middle of me using it or launch, will generally lead me to give it a 1 star rating.

It is my choice to rate, and if a popup keeps coming up, then the app is nothing more than bloatware.

Want a good rating - create the best app in the category. Wow the users.
  19. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Amen brother!

VicoPad addict!
  20. MacVaio

MacVaio iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it is.
    I hate them popups, I could live with them in a free app, but find it unacceptable in a paid one. I enjoy doing reviews from time to time and never uber pressure. And I prefer to write positive reviews... ;)

Nevertheless I would like to thank to all the dev community for their efforts making things happen in our Ipad microworld.

MacSquare&Ball