How do you guys feel about App review popups

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by HTMLEgg, Jul 19, 2011.

1. HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed a number of Apps have a auto pop up that ask you to provide a review, it usually comes up after you've used the App a few times. You are provided with options to Review now, Remind again and Cancel.

Being a developer, I wonder how users feel about this. Do you think it's reasonable to include such an add-on within an App or does it frustrate users?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from everyone.

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind if it only pops up once - but gives me the option elsewhere for a review - or, remind me in 7 days.

Tim

3. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As a user, it annoys the heck out of me! I can live with one (one!) pop-up. It's bothersome, but liveable.

It's the ones that Continue. To. Ask. For. A. Review. that annoy me. Unfortunately, I usually do like the app, so I don't delete it because of that irritation.

It could be just me - because, as a rule, I don't do reviews. I figure me purchasing the app is review enough, especially if I go back to purchase a full-fledged app after being allowed the opportunity to try out a [free] Lite version.

Good luck in your development project(s).

Marilyn

4. addiosamigo

addiosamigo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Lose connectivity while trying to update email which is like 4 profiles! That's annoying! :) but to answer your question, no it doesn't bother me, I get it with windows updates all the time so I'm used to it!

#4 addiosamigo, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. K1W1

K1W1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hate them and will not post a review on any app that uses this technique.

6. freebirdforever

freebirdforever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Meh. It depends for me really. Usually based on what I'm doing at the time. If its something important it can get kind of annoying.

7. HTMLEgg

HTMLEgg
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the feedback. What if it's not in the form of a popup, say it's more like a button in the option setting somewhere, is that more tolerable? I think I've seen this being done a few times too, although the popup is more common.

8. freebirdforever

freebirdforever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I quite like that idea

9. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I think many users have been conditioned to hate pop-ups of any kind. (The little mouse-over pop-ups are especially annoying.) I typically do provide a review; a sort of pay-it-forward because I appreciate reading them when I'm purchasing an app. But it would be less annoying to have a prominently displayed review button than a pop-up.

10. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I find it annoying honestly. if I open the app, I am intent on using the app right away, a popup offering to take me away from the app when I want to use the app is a bit aggravating...