What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you email a song from iTunes?

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That should work fine, but then the next question is will the other person be able to play the file... Only if the file is not protected by drm

Reaction score
Katoosh said:
That should work fine, but then the next question is will the other person be able to play the file... Only if the file is not protected by drm

The iTunes songs currently sold by Apple are no longer DRM protected and can thus be played on any device, regardless of whether it has been activated with the purchaser Apple ID.

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Katoosh said:

The iTunes songs currently sold by Apple are no longer DRM protected and can thus be played on any device, regardless of whether it has been activated with the purchaser Apple ID.

does that make music bought before the non-drm change not have drm any longer?

Katoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
was just reading over this Changes Coming to the iTunes Store

looks like you have to pay to upgrade all your old drm protected music to non-drm - wonder how many folks do that
Argggg...Apple trying to screw us again,

I think apple did a great job getting this pushed through in 2009. What I didn't know was that you 'could' update all your music to non-drm (sucks that it's a fee). Anyways, It's the record companies that stopped them in the first place from offering non-drm files. It took apple a while to get enough influence to get it changed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Right, because we didn't know what we were buying the first time; us poor innocent lambs. Because we have a right to every upgrade and update to a product once we've bought it; well the digital ones. No one seems to be upset when a new edition of a physical album or book comes out, and you can't get a free copy. Those greedy cheating bookstores!

BTW, almost all the older DRM tracks are encoded at 128 bits. All new stuff is 256, which means you're also getting higher quality music when you pay to upgrade. And Apple does not charge you the full price for the update, only the rough difference between the old tracks and what the higher quality tracks cost. This varies.

Also, when passing out DRM free tracks you might want to consider where they are going. You may be able to play them on any device, but that does not mean they can't be tracked back to you.

It's been a while since I read the article, but I seem to remember that each track is tagged with your account info. While it is unlikely that the RIAA would hunt you down (wishful thinking?) it would be wise to make sure that tracks from your account are not found lounging about on music pirate sites and/or torrents.

And, yes, I have a ton of old DRM music. I don't upgrade it because I'm a cheapskate, and my old ears probably could not tell the difference in quality anyway. At least not with the equipment I've got.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Right, because we didn't know what we were buying the first time; us poor innocent lambs. Because we have a right to every upgrade and update to a product once we've bought it; well the digital ones. No one seems to be upset when a new edition of a physical album or book comes out, and you can't get a free copy. Those greedy cheating bookstores!

Leave it to you, Poet, to shed true light on things!;)

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
You can also simply copy and paste the .mp3. Find the song(s) you want to e-mail (in Windows 7 its Libraries>Music>iTunes>Itunes Media>Music>Band Name X>Album Name X> Song Name X) Right click on the song and copy. Then Paste it into your e-mail. Works every time.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also simply copy and paste the .mp3. Find the song(s) you want to e-mail (in Windows 7 its Libraries>Music>iTunes>Itunes Media>Music>Band Name X>Album Name X> Song Name X) Right click on the song and copy. Then Paste it into your e-mail. Works every time.

Seriously? I'm tryin that now.

Most reactions

Latest posts