What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you disable the password prompt in the AppStore?

dr1ver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first Apple device, so forgive the noob question. I searched for 'password disable' and 'password prompt' but came up with nothing.

I just got an iPad Air. It seems like every time I download an app (even free ones), I'm prompted for my Apple account password. I set a pretty long (16 character) password w/ numbers, letters, and characters. This is extremely annoying. I can't seem to find the option to turn this stupid feature OFF in Settings.

I'm the only one that uses this iPad so I find this feature useless. I could also make my password shorter and easy to type in, but that's defeating the purpose. And even if I do make it shorter, it'd still be annoying to have to enter it for every purchase.

Did I miss something? Is there a way to turn this 'feature' OFF? Is there a way to work around this?

iOS 7.0.4
Restrictions: OFF
Passcode: none

TIA

OP
dr1ver

dr1ver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No way to turn it off. It's for your security.

more like for my annoyance.

i understand the need for some people. but there are lots of people like me who live alone, have no kids, and rarely take their ipads outside of the home. disabling the password requirement should at least be an option. or at least allow us to use the passcode to authorize purchases.

as it stands, i'll be making my apple account password shorter and less unique. defeats the purpose of security, don't you think?

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The next best thing to it is only available on jailbroken devices using the tweak PasswordPilot or PasswordPilot Pro which will enter your Apple ID password automatically once the prompt comes up, but it still requires you to press the OK as confirmation. If your AppleID does not have a CC attached to it, it wouldn't be an issue to open have the account dangle, but if there's a CC attached to it and the consumer's not as attentive to the charges on their CC, it can be a major issue particularly in the case of disputing the unauthorized charges. Better safe than sorry, unless you don't have to worry I guess

OP
dr1ver

dr1ver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The next best thing to it is only available on jailbroken devices using the tweak PasswordPilot or PasswordPilot Pro which will enter your Apple ID password automatically once the prompt comes up, but it still requires you to press the OK as confirmation. If your AppleID does not have a CC attached to it, it wouldn't be an issue to open have the account dangle, but if there's a CC attached to it and the consumer's not as attentive to the charges on their CC, it can be a major issue particularly in the case of disputing the unauthorized charges. Better safe than sorry, unless you don't have to worry I guess

thanks. i was hoping for something like this. now i just have to wait for the iOS 7 jailbreak :comingsoon:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't turn it off, but you can avoid having to enter it several times in a row.

In Settings > General > Restriction you can change Require Password from Immediately to 15 minutes.

When you set up Restrictions you have to enter a 4 digit passcode. Remember it. It is every bit as difficult to deal with as forgetting your unlock passcode.

Most reactions