What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you change phone number on Ipad id

dee1202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to change the phone number on the ipad. My husband and I share the ipad and for a long time I only had a 3 G Iphone which didn't have face time. I just upgraded to an iphone 5 now when people try and face time me it goes to my ipad and not my iphone. It will go to my iphone if I turn it off on the ipad but I want my husband to be able to use the face time on the ipad if I am not around. Thanks for any advice anyone can give. It is much appretiated.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to change the phone number on the ipad. My husband and I share the ipad and for a long time I only had a 3 G Iphone which didn't have face time. I just upgraded to an iphone 5 now when people try and face time me it goes to my ipad and not my iphone. It will go to my iphone if I turn it off on the ipad but I want my husband to be able to use the face time on the ipad if I am not around. Thanks for any advice anyone can give. It is much appretiated.

Hello! Welcome to iPF!
Afaik there's no possibility to change a phone number on your iPad. That can only be done through your iPhone.

Perhaps you may find something that helps in one of these links:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4319
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FaceTime on the iPad works through e-mail addresses. So, if you remove the e-mail address from the phone that you wish to use on the iPad, using that address will only work for the iPad.

Gosh, I hope that made sense! :) The main point: don't have the same e-mail address on iPad and the iPhone. If you keep them a different address, FaceTime will be separate.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With iOS 6, the iPad can receive iMessages (not SMS) that are sent to an iPhone's number, if they both use the same iCloud account. You can change what email addresses and whether the iPad will receive the iPhone's iMessages under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Just check/uncheck what you want, or you can add another email address.

If you no longer use the same iCloud account on both devices, tap the Apple ID at the top and sign out, then sign back in with the new iCloud Apple ID. Do this on both devices so that the iMessages server updates all the phone number and address information.

The difference between Messages, iMessages, and SMS:

Messages is the app.

iMessages's is Apple's text service. I can only be used when you have an internet connection and only works between Apple devices.

SMS is the telephone carrier's text service. It can be used whenever you have a phone signal and works with pretty much any phone (provided it has SMS service).

The iPhone can use either, and will if you have it set up to do so. By preference it uses iMessages when it can (Apple device and internet available), but will switch to SMS automatically; again, when set up that way.

The iPad can only send and receive iMessages; which will explain why some things you get in Messages on the iPhone don't show up on the iPad. They came in by SMS.

Most reactions

Latest posts