What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you access addressee's?

ggildeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As of yet, I have not built entries in the standard "contacts" app. However, I have been receiving and sending emails on my iPad. I have noticed that the addressee's are saved somewhere (but not in contacts) because when I begin typing in the "To" prompt it pops up a set of addressee's that contain the letters I just typed. Does anyone know where this information is stored and how you go about editing them? There are a few that I would like to delete and alter a few (if I create a bad addressee it too is stored).

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are on your email server. Depending on how you are importing your mail you may be able to sync those contacts to your iPad. If you are using gmail or hotmail you can set them up through the exchange server and in settings turn on sync contacts.

OP
G

ggildeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jake, I did check my email server which is google mail. They are not there. Btw, I don't have any contacts set up in google mail either. And just for the heck of it, I went to my MacBook Pro and signed into Google mail and proceeded to initiate a new email. For the "To:" prompt, I typed in a value that would cause a pop-up to occur on the iPad but the same did not occur here.

Do you have any other ideas?

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try going to settings and click on mail, calendars, and contacts. Check to see what your default contacts account is. The only other thing I can think of is that you have had some correspondence with those contacts on your ipad and it is just saving a cache somewhere.

OP
G

ggildeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jake, I'm inclined to agree with you about the cache. I have looked just about everywhere on my iPad for the non-entered contacts to no avail. I guess I 'll have to live with it. It is only a small nuisance. THANKS, for trying to help me through my problem.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you come across an incorrect addressee in your email cache, you can click on it to edit it, and then fix the error.

I did this the other day: I had been playing around with email groups and accidentally made one that replaced my default contact. The bad email address wasn't in my Contacts either. I finally got tired of the incorrect email contact label, so I clicked on it and edited it. Then I went into Contacts and it showed up as a Contact. I then was able to delete it. Now the bad addressee tag is gone and has reverted back to my actual contact name.

OP
G

ggildeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purpleorchid, how do you get to your email cache? When I start a memo and specify a character for the "To:" prompt, a pop up occurs giving me one or more addresses to "select" from. Clicking on one doesn't take you into edit mode but rather cause a "selection".

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You almost got it. Let it select the email address. Then click on the name and it will bring up the "contact". Now you can select Edit. Just change the Name, click Done to save. Then go into your Contacts app and it should be there. That's how I did it.

OP
G

ggildeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purpleorchid, the iPad does not automatically select a name for me. Here's what I did:
1) I started a memo and typed O
2) the iPad showed me 3 entries:
Owen C. Winkler
[email protected] (good entry)

Owen Winkler
[email protected] (bad entry)

<no name>
[email protected] (another bad entry)

3) I start typing: wen Winkler right after the O in the To prompt
4) at no point does the iPad do an automatic select for me; it just reduces the entries in the pop up window to just the one entry matching what I typed

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you click on O and you get the three choices, can't you click on either of the bad entries to make it your addressee? You don't have to finish typing in the whole name. Just tap which contact you want to use.

Then once the "bad" entry is in your To: line, you can click on it, edit, save, then delete.

OP
G

ggildeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After a little playing around, your explanations or suggestions are starting to sink in and make sense but I still have the problem. Once I select an entry from the pop-up, it just adds it to the To: prompt. Once in the To: prompt field, I can click on the addressee. However, it merely pops up with a window entitled "To" and all I can do is select it again. There is no edit capability. This is within the create new email process. Now, if I select a memo in my inbox and click on the "From", it will pop up a window entitled "From" and right next to the title is an "edit" button which I can click. The same happens if I click on a name in the to" section.

Try doing the following:
1) start a new note and in the "to" prompt type in a bogus email address like [email protected]
2) type in a subject and something in the body
3) send it
4) start a new note and in the "To" prompt type the first letter of the bogus email address you specified in step #1
5) I am willing to bet that the bogus email address is selectable
6) if so then select it and then click on it

Most reactions

Latest posts