What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I use my iPad in another country?

Applephile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[
How do I use my iPad in another country?do I just buy a French sim card, put it in and go?

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assumed it's just like a mobile phone, just go abroad and turn on 3G but be wary of charges...I am taking mine to France in summer and will be lucky as can connect to the house wi fi link so will be free, in the house at least. Of course you should always worry about security when travelling with it.
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Best is to post on these forums nearer the time and someone from that country will be able to tell you the best pay as you go provider.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[
How do I use my iPad in another country?do I just buy a French sim card, put it in and go?

I notice you are from the UK and you mention you are travelling to France. You should have no problems, as the other posters have suggested. Your UK SIM card will work in France but you may need to contact your service provider first of all to have 'roaming' enabled. If you have a 'monthly' contract, then your roaming charges will be in addition to this monthly contract. If you have a PAYG (pay as you go - i.e. pre-paid) service then the roaming charges will simply be deducted from the pre-paid sum that you have available 'on' the card.

As has been suggested, roaming charges could be an issue, though the EU has recently imposed limits on roaming charges that service providers are allowed to impose.

So, as you hinted, purchasing a French PAYG card could be a good option. Depending on the card that you purchase (of course, it needs to be a micro-SIM) you may need to set up a few service provider specific parameters in the iPad's Setting app - such as the APN, user name and password - although most service providers/SIM cards do this automatically.

As one of the posters pointed out, though, WiFi is very widely available in France - as in the UK - so most malls, hotels, franchises, airports, train stations, trains, some buses, coffee shops, restaurants have WiFi - sometimes free too. So, if your stay in France is mainly going to be in urban areas or in hotels, you may not really feel a need to use your 3G at all.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great vacation and enjoy your iPad in France.

Tim
Scotland

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roaming can be a real issue, I don't recommend it.
EU has had providers put a cap on it, which means that after 50 Euros, your data-connection is cut.
Personally, I reached that limit after approx. 30 minutes when I was in France.

Getting a prepaid Micro-SIM might be a better (and cheaper) solution.
Also, in many public places they have free WiFi. That could be an option as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts